Author Topic: Project "BurnEm"  (Read 22800 times)

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
Re: Project "BurnEm"
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
Yeah I've got a goooood idea... you know the little oil pressure port on the back of the block? Well there is another port little bigger next to it. Ol buddy didn't put a screw in plug in that port. I was hoping it wasn't for oil when I saw it, but:(# so I tried to plug it with the cylinder head on:( using some metal epoxy puddy. It worked when I primed the engine with the oil pump primer, but when I fired up the engine it formed a small leak. Oil psi on my mechanical gauge is excellent. Just noe I've got to take the intake and head off to put a plug in that port. Question will I need to reset the rockers when I reinstall the cylinder head?

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
Ok guys took off the dizzy, intake, header, and cylinder head. Put the plug in the oil port that was leaking. Put everything back together today with fresh gaskets the builder bout me. Set the preload on the lifters and buttoned everything back up. Fired it up set the timing checked the water level and took it for another drive. All is well no leaks! Drove fine except it didn't want to shift out of 1st. Maybe the kickdown cable not being adjusted or the lockup not being wired had somethin to do with it. Anyhow still can't get the engine to idle down no matter what I adjust, and I need them exhaust pipes so I can go get some fresh gas. The carb will be sent off this upcoming weekend to everydayperformance for a rebuild and mod to suite my engine combo.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Remembered the trans modulator house was not hooked up. Guy said it would help set the piston rings.all is well

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »
Well I welded the pipes and summit race mufflers on and took it for a drive... man these mufflers are LOUD! Its all good because that's what I was going for. Didn't dump them cause it was way too loud. (Close to open headers) so I did the side exit before the rear tires. Still its supper loud:)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »
We ll here's the first video clip on youtube. Just have it running in the driveway. Plug up to your car sterio or headphones when listening or just turn it up and wake up the neighbors:) like I do every morning
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vehbMQSlcSw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:19:55 AM by 454Man »

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 05:28:08 AM »
Just found some of the infamous 375/41 center plates and weights in a 1984 suburban. I installed them  without setting the base timing and when I finally put my timing light on the tab my timing was too far advanced. Which would exchange the hard to start when hot. I retarded the timing down to 12° with my like new center plates and weights and medium springs from the moroso kit gives me 34° all in by 3,200 rpm. My engine loves its new timing combination.the idle is impeccable... It idles so low smooth when i'm at a stop light with my music on I forget the engine is ruining. Cruising now requires less pedal than before with the same about of vacuum. stomp on the pedal response is incredible, truck just goes. No pinging or knocking, yet I still want to sec what going a step richer in the secondaries and primaries will do. the engine also runs cooler in all rpm ranges. It really is like a new engine