Author Topic: Outside mirrors for 76 C20 Custom Deluxe  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Outside mirrors for 76 C20 Custom Deluxe
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
Hi:
Can anyone tell/show me what the original mirrors looked like for my 1976 C-20 Custom Deluxe? My RPO sheet has:

Option No: D29
Description: EXT. B/EYE MIR (7.5

My truck has the "camper special" options, and when I bought it many moons ago the mirrors were gone. I installed some "West Coast mirrors" from JC Whitney and they used to work OK for towing my tall box trailer. I have restored the truck and bought aftermarket doors which have thinner metal that the OEM doors and now the attachment points to the door makes them vibrate quite a bit which is annoying. So if they are available, I am considering getting the OEM mirrors...I would also consider used if they can be restored. Does anyone know where I can get them?
Regards,
Henry

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Outside mirrors for 76 C20 Custom Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
The original mirrors on my '75 camper special had a V-shaped upper piece that projected out from a front rear attachment, and then legs that went down at an angle to bolt to the door below.  The end of the V piece had a bolt hole in it for the mirror bolt to stick down into so you could rotate it.  The mirror bracket was also L-shaped, so you could rotate/pull the mirror in toward the door, or push it out so it would extend further.
The mirror design was similar to this one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/CIPA/CM45000.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvabPBRD5ARIsAIwFXBlEhrCWIJqBLLFT-WduN5E8rh6ZNb-FnPM4aRmygd1hNdk_fVND3BYaAmdbEALw_wcB

Breuce

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
Hi:
Thanks for the info...yes, I have seen the design you have linked and this may be what the OEM D29 option looked like. Does your RPO sheet have any codes for your original mirrors? You know, studying the mirror you linked, I dont think this mirror will shake any less than my JC Whitney west cost mirror...maybe more, since it is a cantilever support at the bottom. All the vibration in my door is at the attachment point just below the quarter window...the door skin is unsupported in this area and any attaching load on it here just shakes. My fantasy mirror is the west coast one seen in my service manual...see attached image...this is the one I want since it has such good attaching support...but I have never seen one and dont know what the part number is. If I cant find it I may just have to disassemble the door and stiffen the sheet metal up somehow.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Jason S

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32036.msg270082#msg270082

For my '73 GMC K2500 Camper Special - it listed "DF2  Exterior Mirror" on the SPID for the mirrors.  In the link above, DF2 looks like the mirrors on the blue/white and brown/tan trucks. Don't know if the code changed for later years.

The 7.5" below eye level mirror is on the same page linked above. Scroll up to the photo with an all blue truck.

Many west coast style used on one-ton and up through the years. Check dually chassis cab or medium duty trucks in the salvage yard. They may also show up on ebay. If you were to get the OEM part number, they might show up NOS.

Adding some additional metal on the inside of the door at the mounting holes can help spread the load.  It can be bonded to the door metal with the newer automotive metal bonding adhesives.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »
My RPO code sticker is mangled/torn, but the last two digits for the mirrors are F2, so its probably DF2.    Mine were definitely the four point camper special mirrors, and I think the upper bracket was like the brown/white truck.   

Most of the time my truck was not used for a camper, and I've seen evidence of repairs to one door, so its hard to tell what was changed.  I took the camper special mirrors off when I had the rust repaired and the truck painted, and the mirrors I put back on were low-mount ones from a newer truck.  They filled all the holes in the doors for mounting the larger mirrors.

Bruce

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Hi All:
That link that Jason gave showing the various mirror mountings was helpful. It is definitely the first image mirror config that I am looking for...it is the West Coast mirror in my service manual. It is really the most compact bracing of all I have seen and it appears the bracing is the most robust. Even if I find one I will probably have to go ahead and stiffen up my door with either structural adhesive or weld as suggested. Since I have been striking out finding one for a light duty pickup maybe I need to start looking at the medium duty pickup salvage yards as mentioned.
Thanks,
Henry
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:04:11 PM by bd »