Author Topic: Riddle me this...  (Read 8985 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Riddle me this...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
The choke should not be closed after the truck has been driven a while and warmed up.

Yes, the air cleaner stud SHOULD NOT be there.  It should be in the hole right behind the slot where the stud is now.

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »
The choke should not be closed after the truck has been driven a while and warmed up.

Yes, the air cleaner stud SHOULD NOT be there.  It should be in the hole right behind the slot where the stud is now.

It had not been driven prior to those pictures - had been sitting for a week.  I did take the pictures after I moved the throttle by hand, but the choke was already closed before I did that.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
Hi:
-From one of the photos, it looks like the Q-jet part number is 17083226. In my reference material I cannot find out exactly which Q-jet this is...the part number is close to the M4M or M4ME carb which was used originally on 1982-83 model trucks. Much different emissions equip than on your  1978 engine. It looks like your air cleaner is original as it has a decal that says emissions equip was CCS. This is "controlled combustion system" which is essentially tuning the carb to a very lean setting to meet the emissions standards at the time, in addition to other things like egr and probably catalysts.
-It looks like your accelerator pump shaft is kinda grungy which indicates that the accelerator pump cup may be on the way south which would either give you some flatness when accelerating or even outright stalling when you hit the accelerator.
-Yes, the air cleaner stud is in the wrong place...thread it out carefully and thread it into the right hole...hopefully nothing is permanently damaged here....now your air cleaner cover should fit properly.
-The air cleaner housing has a snorkel on it which has the hot air vacuum solenoid (door that allows either cold air from the end of the snorkel or hot air from the pass side exh manifold to come in to the carb for cold starting. One vacuum line goes from this solenoid to the temp switch (the little gizmo with "AC" logo) mounted on the bottom of the air cleaner housing. The other vacuum line goes from the temp switch to a source of vacuum which should be at the base of the carb somewhere on the passenger side. This little system is the "thermostatically controlled air cleaner assembly" from the factory to assist in quick warm ups. This hose used to be plugging into your carb somewhere and now the connection is plugged on your carb so the thermo air cleaner system is essentially disconnected and you just get air from the end of the snorkel coming in to the carb at all times. One photo on the passenger side of the carb shows the rear vacuum break assembly but it looks like it is also disconnected...some linkage parts seem to be missing. I think this carb also had a front vacuum break assy that is now missing. I see you have the electric choke and stat assembly on this carb and from the photo I can tell you have the original intake manifold that used to have the thermostatic choke mounted in the manifold (the divorced choke style). I feel a uncomfortable advising you on what to do next with this carb as far as adjustments since it is a much later model than mine (1976 4MV) with some different features. I do think you should call those guys at quadrajetparts.com and verify exactly what model you have and get an illustrated parts picture for it to see what parts are missing...they may or may not be important for it to operate properly.
-In the first photo there is a short rubber hose connected to a metal hose that appears disconnected...is it? this little hose should plug into the carb in the front here somewhere and the other end of the metal hose should have another rubber hose that plugs into the vacuum advance unit of the distributor.
-From your "cold squirt test" your acc pump is probably working just enough to get some fuel into the manifold to start but you still need your primary jets to be working to keep the engine running with the correct fuel/air metering ratio...I dont think these jets are supplying enough fuel and this is probably because the fuel bowl is either dry, gunked up, or too low as I have said before. Your pics of the carb show a lot of fuel seepage on the float bowl assy (the center part of the carb) which indicates that the gaskets are not sealing or the bolts holding the whole thing together are too loose....this could be where the fuel is evaporating when it sits for a week.
-I think it may be time to rebuild/repair this carb or replace it with a carb that came on the engine originally which was probably a 4MV. If you can find a real good old-time mechanic who has experience with multiple models of Q-jets he can probably tune this carb as a basic carb with all the emissions and cold start features disabled...I just dont have enough experience with newer Q-jets such as yours to advise what to do. I am going to be out of town next week but will check in on your situation the following week.
Good Luck!
Henry

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »
Henry, thanks very much for all that detailed information.  I'll check that apparently disconnected hose again.  I thought everything looked like it was connected, except for the hose on the cleaner.  But maybe I missed something.

I'll definitely check out quadrajetparts.com.  Although I doubt I'll be working on the carb myself, the parts diagram will come in handy whenever I have someone else work on it.

I'll soon be taking the truck back to the guy who did the engine swap so he can (hopefully) fix some oil leaks.  While he himself admits to not knowing how to tune carbs (young guy), he says he has an older friend that he can call in to tune the carb.

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
Got the air cleaner stud back where it belongs.  It was a bit of a pain to back it out, as the hole it was in isn't threaded (well, it sorta kinda is now, LOL).  Not sure what would possess a person to put the stud where it was.  They obviously had to work pretty hard to get it in there.  Amazingly, the threads on the stud weren't boogered up.

The end of the stud that was in the carb smelled strongly of gasoline when I pulled it out.  I leaned way over the carb and sniffed, and could get a faint whiff of gasoline.  I'm wondering if that hole that the stud was in is supposed to be plugged with something.

I checked out the short rubber hose that is connected to a metal tube (in the first photo), and it is indeed hanging loose.  The metal tube runs around to the passenger side, where it is held in place by a small clip on the intake.  That end of the metal tube is also loose, so the whole thing is disconnected at both ends and is just sitting there doing nothing.  Perhaps it used to connect to the original divorced choke?

Despite my earlier assertion that all the open ports were plugged, I did notice that there appears to be an unplugged port on the back of the rear section of the choke.  Could this be where the loose hose on the breather is supposed to connect?  (Edit: according to a quadrajet service manual I found that has a picture of a M4ME model, the unplugged port is on the rear vacuum break.)

I appreciate everyone's help, especially Henry and Stewart.  At this point I'm probably done fiddling with it until I can (1) get a proper parts diagram, and (2) have someone who knows carbs look at it person.

Thanks again, guys.

Update: Based on the ID chart here, http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/choose-your-quadrajet-number-identification-guide/, the carb is a 1983 model built for a Chevrolet with an automatic transmission.

Another update: Here's the 1981 quadrajet service manual that I found: http://www.generationhighoutput.com/Quadrajet_Service_1981.pdf.  It has the M4M and M4ME models in it.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:56:55 PM by Monkey Uncle »

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »
We can help;  i apologize---i'm very busy and probably can't discuss it in-depth until the weekend, but i don't think there's a need to wait for someone who knows carbs to actually physically appear in order help you (although it probably would be helpful if you do know someone).

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:36 AM »
We can help;  i apologize---i'm very busy and probably can't discuss it in-depth until the weekend, but i don't think there's a need to wait for someone who knows carbs to actually physically appear in order help you (although it probably would be helpful if you do know someone).

Thanks, Stewart.  No need to apologize.  I very much appreciate any help you can give, but don't feel like it's your responsibility to do so.

Offline Smitty31

• Registered Users
  • 1979 GMC High Siera 4wd & 1986 custom deluxe 2wd
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
In the third pic part of your choke linkage is not hooked up. Look behind choke thermostat the linkage going into the pull off is not hooked up also above the linkage is a eyelet with nothing in it.
IF ITS WORTH DOING. THEN ITS WORTH DOING RIGHT.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 02:05:06 AM »
I'd didn't see where you mentioned how it runs other than the hard starting after sitting more than a couple days.

The air cleaner stud was int the slot just above the float bowl/float, as long as the float wasn't damaged by the stud you should have no issues now u moved it to the correct location.

The later carbs like this one 1983 can have a front and rear pull off, just a rear pull off, just a front pull off.

There's a linkage missing from the  rear pull off to the 2ndary air flaps that has been mentioned. Due to the type of connection at the 2ndary air flaps the rear pull off belongs and probably never had a front pull off due to the vacuum port arrangement.
Buuut no telling with a remanufactured carburetor.
Some even had a rear pull off that had a fast idle pull off feature that worked off of vacuum and water temp, but that's not the case here.

Without that missing linkage I would expect a bog going into the the 2ndaries. The pull off slows the initial opening of the 2ndary airflaps preventing to much air vs fuel and hence a bog.

The choke linkage is probably not adjusted correctly to allow full opening of the choke flap.
Even looks like the link to be too straight just below where the linkage connects with to flap.   

Vacuum ports, large port lower front pvc. Distributor appears to be connected to manifold vac but not positive.
Lower passenger side is probably for egr, its ported vac with a bleed off to limit vac.
The larger angled port at the front is a vent for emissions.
The lower drivers side front could be ported or manifold Vacuum used for various applications such as vac advance or emissions.
On the rear upper middle is for the air cleaner.
And there should be another port rear lower passenger side which is manifold vac and used for whatever needs manifold vac.

Remember that carb was for a later engine with more ports for emissions than yours and not needed.

Nothing wrong with that carb and with preferable electric choke.
The later single main air bleed carbs use different calibrations, jets and rods.
They can be easily jacked up by commercial rebuilders as well as any other Qjet.

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
I'd didn't see where you mentioned how it runs other than the hard starting after sitting more than a couple days.

It runs reasonably well, other than a few quirks: (1) Idle can be a bit erratic - sometimes it seems a little too fast, sometimes a little rough.  The fastest idle tends to occur around the time the thermostat is opening, although sometimes it persists a little longer.  Fast idle will not kick off when I tap the pedal.  Idle gets slower and rougher when the engine is warmed up fully (i.e., after 5+ miles of driving).  (2) Gentle acceleration from a dead stop produces a split-second flat spot before the truck starts moving.  Gentle acceleration while the truck is moving does not cause any hesitation.

There's a linkage missing from the  rear pull off to the 2ndary air flaps that has been mentioned. Due to the type of connection at the 2ndary air flaps the rear pull off belongs and probably never had a front pull off due to the vacuum port arrangement.
Buuut no telling with a remanufactured carburetor.
Some even had a rear pull off that had a fast idle pull off feature that worked off of vacuum and water temp, but that's not the case here.

Without that missing linkage I would expect a bog going into the the 2ndaries. The pull off slows the initial opening of the 2ndary airflaps preventing to much air vs fuel and hence a bog.

I get a little bit of bog when I punch the pedal, but it picks up pretty quickly (less than a second).  I'm not really sure what's normal and what's not, as I am used to fuel injected engines that respond instantaneously.  Acceleration seems a bit slow to me even with the secondaries fully engaged, but again, I'm not used to carburetors and am not sure what I should expect.

The choke linkage is probably not adjusted correctly to allow full opening of the choke flap.
Even looks like the link to be too straight just below where the linkage connects with to flap.   

The pictures were taken when the engine was cold.  I had the breather off later when the engine was warm, and the primary flap appeared to be fully open.

The truck is currently in the shop to fix lingering oil leaks from the engine swap.  The mechanic is having his older friend who knows carbs come to the shop today to attempt a tune.  Unfortunately I can't be there to observe (I've got a brisket on the smoker and can't leave the house for 14 hours).  I'll pay close attention when I get the truck back and see if the rear pull-off linkage and the air cleaner vacuum hose have been re-connected.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
Hi:
If your engine is timed correctly, your distributor is correctly set up, your carburetor tuned properly, you will not notice any difference in performance compared to fuel injection except for cold starting where you have to manually use the gas pedal to do the cold start routine. Acceleration and throttle response in all speed regimes should be instantaneous. The only things modern fuel inj has over carbs is better emissions control, better fuel economy, lower maintenance intervals, and hands-off cold starts.

I have taken a couple of photos of my engine so you can see what some of the things we have been discussing should look like. The photos are too large for this website but if you give me your e-mail I can send them to you:
1. First photo shows what the hole in the carb where you had the air cleaner cover stud threaded in looks like: it should have a flat blade of metal in the center of the hole and I am not sure what it does but it is not a removable part for rebuild...I would be concerned what happened to it...is it jammed down the hole?....or just removed?
2. The second photo shows what the thermostatic air cleaner assy (THERMAC) hose connections are to the carb.
3. The third and fourth photos shows that rubber and metal hose (clipped to the pass side intake manifold) connected to the carb and vac adv assy of the distributor. What kind of distributor do you have?...is it the original HEI unit with vac adv? Gotta have distributor advance for it to run right.

Considering the missing parts on your carb and the installation of the air cleaner cover stud, I would be suspect of what has been done the the inside of the carb for rebuild...this is a delicate instrument with some fine internal assembly and adjustments (float assy) and if these are not done correctly by a pro or a knowledgeable shade tree mechanic you can have driveablility problems like you seem to be having. You definitely need to get the cold start features of your carb fixed or it will annoy you to no end starting the truck...especially in cold weather. My carb has been recently rebuilt and when it sits for 7 days it takes 6-7 seconds of cranking to start. When it sits overnight it takes 2 seconds of cranking. Starting in the same day is instantaneous. Dead cold start with high idle takes about 4-5 minutes and then it can be kicked down to the lowest idle and runs fine in 75F weather. It will run fine cold at high and mid level idle if I want to drive away instantaneously from a cold start...it just is hard clunks shifting into gear because of the high idle. Throttle response when driving when engine is warm or cold is instantaneous with no flat spots or hesitation. The choke opens up completely when the water temp gauge is at 1/4 on cold engine. On semi-cold engine the choke is opened up completely at 1/8 water temp gauge reading. You notice on my photos that the choke plate is fully vertical when the engine is off and cold before a start is attempted. I expect it to all be this way for 2 years of routing driving (5,000 miles/yr) and then the carb will need to be tuned up (filter change, linkage adjustment, float adj and cleaning of float chamber, tightening of attachment bolts).
Regards,
Henry

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 05:30:35 AM »
Thanks, Henry.  I'll send you a PM.

Edit: your inbox is full and won't accept the message.  Let me know if you clean it out, or you can try compressing the photos and posting them here.

Here are some instructions for using Paint to compress images: http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/How%20To/Reduce_Image_Size.htm

Scroll down to "reduce image file size."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:38:32 AM by Monkey Uncle »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
something else to think about is a bad fuel pump. a bad pump will allow fuel to drain back into the tank. do a search on here for the words "bad fuel pump" by "bd"
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »
The only thing turned by a search for "bad fuel pump" is your post...

The fuel pump is another part that was advertised as "new" by the previous owner.  It is bright and shiny and looks new, as do all the fuel lines.  But I guess it could have been just cleaned up really well.  And I suppose even a new one could be defective.  Is there any way to confirm that short of replacing it?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
did you use the search button in the middle top of the screen?
should bring up window that takes you to this screen
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?action=search
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes