Author Topic: Water pump recommendations:  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Water pump recommendations:
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
1) i am looking for a water pump that is:

a) Aluminum

b) standard flow.  i don't want (and don't think i need?) "high-flow;"  Everything is pretty much stock, and the stock cooling system is doing a pretty good job.
UNLESS, using a "high-flow" pump does not put any extra pressure/strain on the stock system;  In that case, i may consider a high-flow pump, i.e., Edlebrock 8811 etc.

c) High quality;  Money is not an object as long as it is under $300.

2) Now, if #1 cannot be achieved, then what is a good quality stock-type iron pump?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:22:16 PM by Stewart G Griffin »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Water pump recommendations:
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »
guessing it is for you 4.3L in your pickup???
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 05:01:12 AM »
Right, what is it for and why are you looking for an aluminum water pump? The only real advantage is some weight reduction to be honest so if it's for your truck, go back to the price, availability and warranty method when shopping. The flow rate is dependent on the thermostat otherwise it just goes through bypass anyway. The stock pump is capable of circulating just fine and dandy.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

Yes, but as you know 4.3's will take all sbc accessories

Right, what is it for and why are you looking for an aluminum water pump? The only real advantage is some weight reduction to be honest so if it's for your truck, go back to the price, availability and warranty method when shopping. The flow rate is dependent on the thermostat otherwise it just goes through bypass anyway. The stock pump is capable of circulating just fine and dandy.

Because i've never had an aluminum pump and i figured now's a good time  (the Advance auto w/p is leaking).

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
You get the Chevy truck too light up in front and it'll drive squirrely.  JK
Carl 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:36:56 AM »

Yes, but as you know 4.3's will take all sbc accessories

Because i've never had an aluminum pump and i figured now's a good time  (the Advance auto w/p is leaking).

Make sure you take additional corrosion precautions then. Aluminum is more susceptible to degradation and will suffer drastically from the effects of electrolysis. It is accelerated by the cavitation around the pump impeller as well.  I have replaced way more aluminum water pumps in my life than cast iron ones. You may want to just see if Advance will warranty your pump.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
As an update.  And this was last saturday, i decided to cheap out and replace the back cover gasket on the water pump----WHILE IT WAS STILL ON THE ENGINE.   Yes, it is possible----with a 10mm ratchet box wrench and lot of patience.  It also helps not to be overweight (although i use to be and this may be a topic on another thread).

Well, it turns out it wasn't the back cover----it was the weep hole after all.  So, all that work wasted.  Although i did learn it IS possible to replace the back cover with the water pump still on the engine.

So, i decided to go with the Edlebrock 8811---it was in stock at the local PepBoys.  i usually order from Jegs/Summit, but i needed it done by monday morning.

It's definitely a very high quality piece.  It does not seem much lighter than stock in that we are only talking 7lbs vs. 14?

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
7lbs ought to get you another MPG... JK but saving weight, it all counts
Carl