Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 2368 times)

Offline yulan23

Coolant leak
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
Hey fellas I have 86 c10 with a 84 305 in it. I recently noticed a coolant leak coming of the the transmission pan any help will be appreciated...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Offline Joegibbstruck

Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
The only way you would have coolant coming from your transmission pan is if your trans cooler in the radiator had a hole in it.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
Probably have a leaking freeze plug on the back of the block dripping inside the trans bell housing then coming out near the pan.

Or off the back of intake/heater hose and running down.

If it's straight anti freeze it's not mixing with the trans fluid.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
X2

Pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks.  Check all of the coolant hoses, water pump weep, welch plugs, etc.  Use a good flashlight and mirror to peer around all four corners of the intake manifold.  Remove the torque converter dust cover and inspect for coolant tracking between the back of the block and flexplate.  Inspect between the cylinder heads and block and check around all of the exposed head bolts for coolant staining and residue.  The concept to keep in mind is that fluids always migrate downward and rearward.  A coolant leak near the front of the engine can be blown rearward by the fan and road turbulence as it works its way downward by gravity then drip from the transmission pan. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)