Author Topic: Intermittent short  (Read 2111 times)

Offline diesel_lv

Intermittent short
« on: October 19, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
1987 K5, 350 TBI, 700r4. Driving at night and all of a sudden,how else does it happen, engine stops, lights go out, stereo turns off n resets, then truck starts to run again. Does intermittently. Does it without lights on during daylight too. All power goes out. But cannot trace it as it doesn't always do it. Does anyone have any suggestions. Has anyone experienced this before? Before I get tagged with, check previous posts, do a search, I did both of those and found no answers to this question. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Intermittent short
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Check your fusible links and related connections. In your search use key words like fusible link and you will find this topic discussed multiple times.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline diesel_lv

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
Thank you. I will try tomorrow to check those. I figure it has to be something in the engine bay area as it kills everything. Not just ignition, not just lights.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »
Check those and the connections at the battery, starter solenoid, alternator and the junction block on the firewall.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »
Most likely the root cause is an intermittent open.  If the root cause was in fact a short, the likely cause of the symptom you describe would most likely be a bi metal thermal overload.  Would have to determine if there is one in series (which I am not familiar) with all the failed circuits you mentioned.

Offline diesel_lv

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
Well, I found the short. Apparently my eyesight has gotten worse. It was the main power wire from battery to starter. It had a small spot rubbed through that would intermittently touch the frame. Replaced n all good. Thank you all for the quick replies.