Author Topic: Fuel pump.  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Hulkjoegan

Fuel pump.
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
I'm replacing the mechanical fuel pump on my 454, do you think I need gasket sealer? I have some Indian head and gray permatex but I hate using any goop if I don't have to, ya know?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:18:46 PM by Hulkjoegan »
1985 Suburban C20 Scottsdale "Bonnie the 'burb"
454 Quadrajet TH400

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel pump. Gasket sealer?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
Every builder has their own preference.  I use and recommend a smear of Ultra Black or Ultra Copper silicone sealer to better control oil seepage. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Hulkjoegan

Re: Fuel pump. Gasket sealer?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
Well, different issue, installed the new fuel pump and it appears to be bad out of the box. No problems on installation, bolted right in. I pulled it off and put Went to put the old one back on and I can't get it back on. I don't want to force it and bend the arm. I tried turning it over a few times and still never got it in there too far. Do I have to force it? Any secrets?
454 Quadrajet TH400

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel pump.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
The fuel pump is actuated via a camshaft eccentric through a steel pushrod.  You want the pushrod completely retracted when you install the fuel pump.  Bend a wire coathanger into a tool about 8" long and reach down into the fuel pump cavity of the engine block to push the pushrod back up into the block.  Remove the power lead from the distributor and have an assistant bump the engine over until the pushrod is retracted as far as it will go.  Use the wire tool to hold the pushrod up until the fuel pump is slipped into position and the fuel pump mounting bolts are started, then remove the tool and finish tightening the bolts.  Be careful that the pushrod doesn't slip down and become lodged beside the fuel pump arm instead of pushing against it. 

Some people are successful using thick grease to coat and retain the pushrod up while installing the fuel pump.  Others remove an access bolt from the front of the block and use a soft bolt to gently retain the pushrod (image).  I prefer the method I described.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Hulkjoegan

Re: Fuel pump.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, with your insight it took only a few minutes to get her together.
Thanks!!
454 Quadrajet TH400