Author Topic: Little to no fuel in fuel filter, normal?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline robzkombi

Little to no fuel in fuel filter, normal?
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
So on my '74 C10 I just replaced the dirty fuel filter with a new one thinking that there was crap either in the tank (Tank is brand new) or the lines but as it turns out, tank and lines are clean. I also replaced the fuel pump, reason for that was that at first start up, the fuel filter fills up with gas then slowly empties out and only trickles in. Is this normal? the truck idles fine and drives fine, I just found it odd that the fuel filter is not always full of fuel matter of fact there is only about a teaspoon of fuel if that. Should I worry that something is about to fail?

Fuel pump is mechanical.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Little to no fuel in fuel filter, normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
You can rest easy.  What you observed is not uncommon and does not indicate a fuel delivery problem.  Did you eliminate the factory filter in the carb?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline robzkombi

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:43:39 PM »
the carb is a four barrel Edelbrock that was rebuilt by a shop this past year. I don't know if a filter was removed. The only filter I have now is a plastic WIX filter after the fuel pump. I plan on adding a filter before the pump but not sure if that is just overkill.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
There's no internal fuel filter in the Edelbrock carb.  A prefilter on the suction side of the pump is unnecessary and can overstress the pump diaphragm.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline robzkombi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
Good to know, thank you. Well I guess it's like the saying goes, "If it aint broke don't fix it".