Author Topic: headlight switch and knob  (Read 2414 times)

Offline BillWill

headlight switch and knob
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
I am finally getting back to working on my truck and after fixing the wiring and ground issues with the rear lights I need to find a headlight switch and knob as the truck didn't come with one when I purchased it.  PO stated he didn't want to spend the money so he just got one switch from an old Astro Van and let is dangle.  I am able to find the switches plenty of places but the knobs are pretty pricey (which seems kinda odd) and not sure exactly what the factory one should look like and I am also missing the attachment nut for the switch to attach to the dash itself and not finding those anywhere.

Any links/advice would be greatly appreciated.

*while I'm posting I am going to need new doorlocks (no keys) and ignition switch (I assume as I have a key but they broke the ignition itself somehow so it does not need one to rotate).  Anybody have any idea if I really need to take apart the entire steering column to replace the ignition tumbler as that is what I'm finding online?

1986 Chevy K10 Scottsdale w/AC
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:36:54 PM by BillWill »
1986 chevy K10 Scottsdale
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline BillWill

Re: headlight switch and knob
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
here is a pick under the dash of the wire harness.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:16:34 PM by BillWill »
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
It's been more than a couple of years since the last time I had my column apart, but as I recall, to replace the ignition lock (tumbler) you only need to get past the turn signal switch and (possibly) the steering lock plate, which requires a special tool (oddly enough, called "steering lock plate removal tool" at most discount parts stores).  Possibly someone can verify whether I remember correctly on the steering lock plate. 

One thing to note:  It sounds as if you are saying the tumbler turns and starts the truck without the need for the key.  If so, no problem - just replace the ignition lock as you stated.  If, however, the lock is turning (with or without the key) but is not activating the start switch at the base of the column, you probably have a broken ignition rack, which does require going deeper into the column.  The part can still be found at the discounts for under $20, and you'll want to search the phrase "Inside the GM tilt steering column."  It's a 69 page pdf with exceptionally helpful photos.  Very step-by-step.  Good luck !

Offline BillWill

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:05:09 PM »
so I think I found what I need on ebay (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/152828117498) as it has the switch, knob and attachment nut together.  I am hoping that I only need the 7 wire switch as best guess from what I am seeing under my dash versus the 8 wire... we'll see.

Thank you for the response harold as you are correct, I can start the truck without issues and it is just that I do not need a key (which is an issue since my son turns 16 in a couple weeks) and I have just been leaving the battery out of it since I'm working on it and not driving it.  I"m glad it is not a bad as I have been reading...

305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's