Author Topic: Dash component question  (Read 3234 times)

Offline dustygriley

Dash component question
« on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:41 AM »
I have searched on here a few times now and still get confused on dash swapping.  I have a 78K20 but it has what I believe is an 84 cab on it.  The fella I bought it from put a new 78 dash in it but had to cut a slot between where the light knob is and where the wiper switch is suppose to be so that the light knob would line up correctly and he could use the dash.  The dimmer switch is on the column which a 78 should have it on the floor board.  I would like to take everything back to an actual 78 but I have no clue where to start and I really don't want to have to purchase a "parts" truck just for a dash, do I have options here?  I assumed since the entire cab interchanged then I would hope I could interchange the inside of it also?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dash component question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »
Are you referring to the metal frame dash? Are you referring to the dash bezel? The correct year bezel will lay the footprint as to where the switches should land properly however, it will not fit correctly if the wrong gauge cluster and or dash pad are installed. You definitely have a newer column as you stated.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dustygriley

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
I was referring to the metal frame dash.  Do I need that to be a 78 in order to have everything else "fit" as a 78?  Your statement about having the correct year bezel is now my starting point so thank you.  Without doing further research I'm not exactly sure what the "bezel" is but I'm going to dig into that later this evening so thank you for that it is much appreciated.  I'm assuming the metal frame dash which is probably the attachment point for the bezel would be the interchangeable piece but everything else should be year specific?  Thanks again!!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
You can modify the dash frame to accommodate the 78 dash bezel switch positions. Post pics of your current setup. Changing the metal frame is not a bolt in swap so be prepared if you go that route to tear everything out, drill weld, paint...

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dustygriley

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
I truly appreciate your input and knowledge.  Since this will be a working project and one I intend to put to full use hauling a boat and firewood I think I'll steer clear of doing any major modifications like you were describing.  The modification to the dash frame seems like the best approach to me.  Maybe not all that simple but beats having to go the other route.  I didn't get any pictures of it this evening but I'll send some tomorrow to describe it.  In your opinion will I be able to swap out the steering column to a 78 and move the wiper control and dimmer relatively easy or is that going to be a lot of modifications and wire harness switching?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:05 AM »
Easy is a relative term. For me, I think it's a pretty simple project, a few hours in the garage, some tunes, a beer(s), happy day. For others they may want to sell their truck after they look under the dash. All I can say is if your goal is to have it setup like a 78 then you should start by ensuring you have all of the 78 parts ready to install, assess what you already have. What wiper motor do you have? Is the washer pump in the jug or integral? You may need to wire up the wipers in a custom way to ensure the controls function correctly if you have mismatched parts. There are plenty of frankentrucks or maybe the more simplistic route would be to simply install the 78 vintage components and wire it up following the factory schematics. It all depends on what you want to do
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dustygriley

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »
You're speaking my language now...  couple hours in the garage some tunes and multiple beers is my perfect kinda day :)   I hadn't thought of custom wiring it, it's not out of my comfort zone to tackle that kind of a project but I do like the last part you said about just getting all the 78 vintage stuff set up and ready to go and then just follow the factory diagram.  Pretty sure that's what I'll end up doing.  Unfortunately the truck was put to use today hauling a couple loads of firewood so I didn't get a chance to work on it.  I'm in the process of insulating my garage for heat so I'm not in a heated shop yet so the work will wait.  And yes I'm a fair weather mechanic :)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
I keep my garage at 70° while I'm working. If I get too hot I crack open a door but my motivation goes right out the window when it gets cold. I hate the cold. Good luck
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)