Author Topic: No crank and no start  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Aaron

No crank and no start
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Hello all, just joined and having a few questions that I can’t find the answers to. I bought a 1979 Custom Deluxe K20 4x4 Longbed manual transmission from a guy a few weeks back. It started up fine and drove fine for a few miles until I stopped to get gas. Once filling up and starting up again, I was driving down the road and started hearing popping noises from what sounded like the ends of the exhaust under the cab. It stopped accelerating so I pulled over to the side of the road where it stalled out. When I went to start it back up it gave me nothing but a single click. Ended up towing it home where I tried jumping it but still just a single click. After replacing the starter, battery, and alternator it doesn’t even give me that single click. I have tested the battery and cables running off of it and it’s still good. The starter is still good as is the connection point for the battery and the purple wire running directly to the ignition. We jumped the starter and it will attempt to turn so it’s not that, and the previous owner bypassed the clutch safety switch but when I checked those wires they were still good. I went ahead and installed a new ignition switch as well as replaced all of the fuses that were in the fuse box. As far as I know there shouldn’t be a reason it’s not at least trying to crank, but it’s dead silence every time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Re: No crank and no start
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »
Check and ohm out the (purple color wire for my'84) wiring going from the engine wiring connection block to the starter, it either has one of those fusable links in the wiring near the end of the wiring toward the starter side or that wire is fried. If all checks good, then check the ground to engine block and battery post. Chuck

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Thanks for the info Chuck, I’ll have to check it out after work. There is what seems to be a fusible link next to the starter, but it’s hanging there with 3 wires spliced together at the end. Could that possibly be the problem? This guy has completely messed up wiring to this truck and I just want to get it started before moving on to the rest of it. It’s hard to gauge if it’s hooked up right because none of the gauges work or any lights from what I can remember.

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
When I've purchased my '84 Silverado, the engine and headlight harness was the same way - totally molested. I took them out to clean and ohm out and then trace and labeled each wire by following the wiring schematic. The bulk wiring connector going into the rear of your gauge cluster might not be seated properly. Check that too. Good luck

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
I would highly recommend not bypassing the neutral safety switch.

Block the wheels, set the brake. Check battery voltage is sufficient. Take a test light to ground and touch the S terminal of the starter solenoid while an assistant cranks the engine. If it illuminates but the starter doesn't engage, make sure the engine spins over by hand using a 5/8" socket on the crank bolt and a breaker bar. If it's not locked up replace the starter. If you have accessories and loss of power, check your fusible links.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10