Author Topic: Pusher fan(s)  (Read 2946 times)

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Pusher fan(s)
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
Wondering if anyone has added radiator cooling pusher fan(s) using belt driven fan or electric radiator fan. For instance adding one or 2 smaller fans in front of AC condenser for added cooling.

1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pusher fan(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »
I did on my old Jeep because it always ran hot with the AC on and having no EGR. Worked great for bringing the temp down in the summer. Never needed one in one of these trucks.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
Seems to me that a pusher fan or two mounted in the front would actually reduce the surface area of the radiator
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
The factory did this in many trucks powered by big blocks.  The single ~12" fan is controlled by a temperature switch installed in the right cylinder head via a relay mounted on the firewall.  I added one to my SBC with A/C and enjoy excellent results.  I wired mine to integrate engine overtemperature with A/C overpressure controls.  The forwardly mounted fan does not appreciably disrupt air flow through the radiator when idle.  I recommend this upgrade, especially when residing in hot climates.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
The factory did this in many trucks powered by big blocks.  The single ~12" fan is controlled by a temperature switch installed in the right cylinder head via a relay mounted on the firewall.  I added one to my SBC with A/C and enjoy excellent results.  I wired mine to integrate engine overtemperature with A/C overpressure controls.  The forwardly mounted fan does not appreciably disrupt air flow through the radiator when idle.  I recommend this upgrade, especially when residing in hot climates.

My only issue is I can only add 1 or 2  9" fans in front of condenser due to the limited space because of the hood latch bracket. Bracket is at an angle inward from top to bottom and this is primarily due to that is where the grill mounts. I measured 10.5" on each side of the bracket and not much room for one behind bracket. I believe a 10" would be too large.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
Here's the factory setup BD is referring to
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »

My only issue is I can only add 1 or 2  9" fans in front of condenser due to the limited space because of the hood latch bracket. Bracket is at an angle inward from top to bottom and this is primarily due to that is where the grill mounts. I measured 10.5" on each side of the bracket and not much room for one behind bracket. I believe a 10" would be too large.

As I mentioned about the limited space I have, if I mounted 1- 9" fan to passenger side should it be placed at lower corner of the condenser or centered?
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »
Mount it for best fit.  Choose the fan based on CFM flow, the greater the better, but be realistic about advertisers' claims.  Any chance you could install a larger diameter fan?  If I get the opportunity, I will snap and post a "through the grille" pic of what I run.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
Mount it for best fit.  Choose the fan based on CFM flow, the greater the better, but be realistic about advertisers' claims.  Any chance you could install a larger diameter fan?  If I get the opportunity, I will snap and post a "through the grille" pic of what I run.

Thanks. Cannot really get one larger due to the space. No room behind hood latch bracket.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice