Author Topic: what to do with old radiator  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Danny C

what to do with old radiator
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »
Just replaced my old (harrison brand) radiator that was leaking.  Now I'm wondering what to do with the old one.  Planning on just tossing it in the dumpster but didn't know if anyone could use it to repair.  Maybe I could just drop it off at a radiator repair shop.  I guess my question is are these worth trying to save or are they a fine s dozen?

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
Re: what to do with old radiator
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:26:20 PM »
I've taken several routes.  I've had an old one cleaned and repaired.  I've also had to trash a couple because they were beyond repair.  With those two, I replaced one with a steel/copper ($$$) unit, and the other with a modern (read: "aluminum") unit.  To be honest, I prefer the aluminum.  They are inexpensive, and dissipate heat better (in my humble opinion), which is a definite concern with a 454 during a South Texas summer.  I actually drive my trucks.  So, the whole "It's not factory" thing means little-to-nothing to me.

To answer your question, a radiator shop may want it.  Craigslist is another option, if you wanna' mess with the hassle.  Unfortunately, nobody will know how good/usable it is, until it's cleaned and tested.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline fitz

Re: what to do with old radiator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
When the price of scrap was high 10+/- years ago I was getting $50 for the 4 core big block / diesel radiators at the recycling center.