Author Topic: which muffler??  (Read 18484 times)

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
which muffler??
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
I recently had my exhaust system redone from the catalytic converter back, since the cat and pipe forward were replaced just two years ago.  I have single exhaust 3" pipes.  I had them take the old muffler off and just go w/ straight pipes from cat back.  I thought it would have a nice sound to it that way.  Well, i think it is more sound than i bargained for.  That puppy sounds great....but, i think a little too loud for a family vehicle.  It sounds really good once i get up to speed, but accelerating from a stoplight or just taking off, I wake up the neighborhood!  
My wife thinks it is a little too loud.  What muffler do you experienced people recommend?  I want it to still sound a little loud, just not so loud accelerating.  If i get a muffler with 3" inlet and outlet, will it slide into place if i cut a section off of the 3" exhaust pipe? Or will i have to get it slightly larger than a 3" inlet/outlet so the 3" pipe will fit in it?

thanks in advance

SgtDel

suburban
www.delbridge.net

Edited by: SgtDel at: 6/10/05 5:52 pm

Offline bowtieguy

• Registered Users
  • Country as a Cow Pie
Re: which muffler??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
Magnaflow.  Put one just before your Y after the cat.  You will Love it!  Very deep but retains that wide open sound yet won't SCREAM at you. Very mello.

Good luck
Brad

Toys:
89 Black Lesabre T 62k miles
03 Lesabre Celebration Edition
08 NNBS CC Z71 LTZ
79 Flat BlackChevy C-10  5.3/4L60E

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
which muffler??
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
Magnaflow, huh?  Well, I am wondering if this one would quiet it down some, it is a magnaflow 12619

It has a 3" inlet and 3" outlet.  If my pipe, which i need to cut a segment out, is 3", then would i have to expand the inlet and outlet to fit the 3" pipe into it?

Thanks for the info

SgtDel
www.delbridge.net

Offline DnStClr

Re: which muffler??
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
Yeah, Sgt.Del, you'd have to. The 3" would be the measurement on the outside dia. of the muffler's inlet and outlet tubes.
Don

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
muffler
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
Anyone have any secrets to expand the pipes for the inlet/outlet so the same 3" size will fit into the muffler?  I have a propane torch to get it hot, i just don't have an expander of any sort.  There should be some clever tips someone may have to expand the pipe end.

SgtDel  

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
muffler
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »
Has anyone used one of these expanders?  Do they work alright?  I found this one on ebay, around $30 w/ shipping.  If this works, it may be just what i need.  

any input would be appreciated.

thanks
SgtDel

Offline DnStClr

Re: muffler
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
Nice. But, what about taking the muffler to a muffler shop and have them expand it for you? You might find that the muffler is already expanded when you buy it.It should be something like 1/8" bigger than the exhaust tubing.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
muffler
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
it would be very nice if the muffler is slightly oversized, but i fear the worst due to it saying the inlet/outlet is 3 inches.  My pipe is 3 inches.  
I just spent $200  on this exhaust system to get the 3" pipes from the cat back to the rear.  I dont wanna spend too much more...tyring the cheap way first, just buying the muffler and using old fashioned clamps.  I have an arc welder, but they may burn right thru the pipes.  

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
Yes. It's something like 16 gauge metal. Maybe run ac and don't stay in one place too long while you're running the bead.  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »
I have a Snap On version of that expander and I have stretch many a pipe with it, they work well but you need air and an impact. The muffler should slide over the pipe on the inlet end and into the pipe on the outlet end. In other words expand the mufflers inlet and the pipe on the outlet. Also instead of welding the muffler. I would recommend band clamps like big rigs use, they look allot cleaner, they are stainless steel, work good too, and If you don't like the sound you an remove the muffler with out cutting it out or trying to pull it off the pipe after a regular clamp has distorted it.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
Yeah. Band clamps are the way to go. Napa carries them. Install with an impact wrench for a good fit
www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006231/showCustom-0/p-2006231/N-111+10201+600001718/c-10101

Edited by: DnStClr at: 6/12/05 8:58 pm
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
muffler
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »
Excellent advice...thanks.  I never used a band clamp, but that seems like it should be the way to go.  Thanks for the info on the expander also.  Its a peice of mind knowing they work alright.  

SgtDel
"Andy"

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »
I always spray a bit of WD40 or PB Blaster on the threads of mine before and during use.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bowtieguy

• Registered Users
  • Country as a Cow Pie
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
SO are you leaning toward a Magnaflow??!!!  I have the oval style on mine, not the bullet type.  I think the bullet style would be a little louder, but still better than strait pipes!!  Let us know how you like it!

GOOD LUCK!

Brad

Toys:
89 Black Lesabre T 62k miles
03 Lesabre Celebration Edition
08 NNBS CC Z71 LTZ
79 Flat BlackChevy C-10  5.3/4L60E

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
I use Dynomax and have recently put a Magnaflow on the Jimmy.  They didn't have a Dynomax so...

I "HATE" band clamps.  They don't seal very well as there is nothing holding them.  They are different metal than the exhaust and expand at different rates and everyone I have see slid back.  The last one was on a 2000 Z28 that a customer brought in for us to put a turbo on.  I told him before he left, you are going to loose your exhaust or beat it to death if you get into it hard and I won't be responsible for your exhaust or the turbo if you don't let us weld it up.   He disagreed.  30 minutes later he is back at the shop wanting us to fix it (by putting the band clamps back on).  If fell almost all the way off on his way home.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project