Author Topic: Why can't everyone use the classifieds?  (Read 6617 times)

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
Why can't everyone use the classifieds?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:03 PM »
It seems that "site supporters" can only use the classifieds, which i'm assuming is the reason why there's so little for sale. I think if it was open for everyone to freely post parts/accessories for sale, we'd all have more connections to get the parts we need to get projects done, especially with specific or hard-to-find pieces. With almost 9000 members i'd think this would at least get some interest, just my thoughts.
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Why can't everyone use the classifieds?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
$25 is not a lot of money if you think about it, just for the advise alone.  I have had expert help by several members over the years to fix several vehicles.  The site owner is keeping the fly by folks that just join up to use the classified section away.  I was guilty of that with other forums.  Many become site supporters and haven't used the classified section at all.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline gto109

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
this is my 2nd year as a site supporter and I have only used the classified maybe 5 times
67 Le Mans Convertible resto project 350 Pontiac w/powerglide,
85 Scottsdale k-10 305 700r4,
86 Trans Am 305 350th
06 Dodge Ram daily driver

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »
I have had expert help by several members over the years to fix several vehicles.
I don't quite follow. How would being a site supporter get me expert advice, as opposed to posting a question in the forum and getting an answer from the same person?
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »
     That is the way the owner has decided to run this business, it is a business that he started and took the risk to run.  Not everyone might agree with the rules that were set. 
      Honestly I do not know why Capt. Says only site supporters can use the classified section, I do however understand that he said it and I accept it because I risked nothing to be here and benefit from advice all the time.
     I became a site supporter years ago to help support the web site so I could continue to benefit from it.  I am one that zieg is talking about, I have been here for a few years and have never used the classified section.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Ah I see. Alright, just curious.
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
I have had expert help by several members over the years to fix several vehicles.
I don't quite follow. How would being a site supporter get me expert advice, as opposed to posting a question in the forum and getting an answer from the same person?

The General Discussion section has helped me at least 5 times into fixing vehicles that repairs were over my head.  Several have made great suggestions however BD and VileZambonie have gone out of their way to post flowcharts or copy and paste stuff out of manuals to direct my repairs and I am sure saved me big $$$ from having to take the cars in.  I am forever in their debt.  Yes it doesn't cost to get that advise but I will forever be a site supporter for the privilege of being a member here.  BTW I have sold way more that the $25 cost me and have given my fair share of stuff to other members...
Carl 

Offline gto109

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Zieg don't count yourself short on this you have giving me a lot of addvice on a lot of things and have helped me a lot.
67 Le Mans Convertible resto project 350 Pontiac w/powerglide,
85 Scottsdale k-10 305 700r4,
86 Trans Am 305 350th
06 Dodge Ram daily driver

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Zieg don't count yourself short on this you have giving me a lot of addvice on a lot of things and have helped me a lot.
I appreciate the comment and I chime in when I can.  I've been around the block a few times but the newer computer/fuel injection stuff is what stumps me.  I know these Chevy's inside and out except for automatic transmissions and 4x4's just cause I haven't had many...
Carl 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
I believe the thought behind restricting the classifieds was due to the non participating members just looking for a captive audience. It's helped keep trolls out of here for sure. There used to be a post count restriction to get into the classifieds but you had people runnig up their post count just to sell their crap.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
The reason you have to pay is simple.  Everyone on here is a potential buyer that has come together on a forum/site that I pay for.  Making people pay to post stops people from joining to dump their stuff and make a profit and not be part of the group, while I am getting nothing for the service I am providing by bringing together "more connections to get the parts we need to get projects done, especially with specific or hard-to-find pieces."  The cost of running this forum isn't free except to those using it for free.  In addition if you pay for a subscription to sell, I know you name and contact info and if you use paypal I know your address so trying to cheat someone is less likely.  It also protects the buyer.

This site is MUCH more than just a forum.  I sell parts, I am making custom parts and I am doing all of this by myself to make enough money to keep the site up and pay for all the services provided.  To suggest that I open it up for sellers benefit and my expense is insulting especially when it is so cheap.

There is a HUGE post on this and if you read the registration agreement you accepted those rules when you joined.  It is cheap to sell here it is roughly $2 a month.
Here is the original post of when this was put in place ( 5 years ago)
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,7827.0.html

Here is the registration agreement portion for the classifieds:
Classified restrictions
Joining the site does not entitle members to post items for sale or wanted to buy or What's it worth Items on the board.  All for sale/wanted to buy/What's it worth items MUST be posted in the Classified section.  The site Charges for posting for sale and wanted to buy items in the classified ads via Site Subscription which is $25 a year.  Any post that infers, hint or alludes to a sale or wanted to by made by a non supporting member will be removed without warning.  By default all non-site supporters cannot post in the classified section.  Vendors/companies joining the site to solicit customers or sales are required to purchase Vendor Support available in the Paid Subscriptions.  Any posts made by potential vendors without this subscription will be removed without question and the user stripped of posting abilities until subscription is paid.

Here is the whole agreement in its entirety:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,15268.0.html

So, it a nutshell, it exposes the seller, it protects the buyer it helps with forum cost and it offsets the potential sell I may have had.