Author Topic: cab dolly  (Read 31903 times)

Offline hotrod24

Re: cab dolly
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
got it i sent you one back
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
i dont know but it would work i will just have to see would you have any ideas for a wood dolly?

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
That would probably be more cost efficient. Use the same basic design and use 4x4 posts instead of channel steel. Make a square or rectangular table with casters and add to it as you need with other 2x4 or 4x4 pieces to fit your cab. All you need is some wood a saw and screws or lag bolts. Give it a try.

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
yea i think i will

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
hey as yall know i have been trying to think of a way to build a cab dolly so i built a model dolly well i was going to build one like 86 chevy silverado did but out of wood but i only will have a 18x21 with 7ft legs so i thought about something smaller like this i know it is goofy but i think it is funny

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »
Ive got a couple extra frames so I am gonna take one of them and cut it in sections, weld legs to it, and use that for my cab and bed dollies. I will be mounting 4 inch channel iron across the bottom, so I can move each peaice in and out of my shop with the forks on my tractor. This way, I can bolt the cab or bed to the frame sections, and it should keep everything square and inplace as I work on the cab or the bed. Plus, its cheap. cut frame sections, and a couple fence posts cut to about 2 ft lentghs welded to the frame. All here, all free. Just takes time
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
cool sounds good

Offline dunedigger

• Frequent Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
I built this one in no time with next to no cost.  I could wheel the cab around by myself arcoss the lawn.  I loaded it onto a trailer by meyself several times.  It worked so well I kept it.  I even used it to flip my cab on it's back to do the bottom.  I can't tell you how well this thing worked, it's great.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
Man Dusty, you and Chop like to make complicated things :o  LOL I'm Lazy, so Chop why wouldn't you just bolt or weld on some stubby legs on the frame pieces, that way you could mount some casters on the bottom of the legs, then just roll your dollies around by hand(No Fork needed) :-X

Dusty, why do you need a Dolly with 7ft legs in the first place??? Unless you plan on sliding under it, to work on the bottom of the cab :o  Your model has the basic idea of a Good Dolly, just make the base a True Square, and remove the center two slats(Better yet, take them, and use them to box in the bottom frame, to make it a four sided square)....  That's the basic design my Father-in Law used for his, just use Lag Bolts to piece the frame together...  Keep the current Stubby leg design, and add casters to the bottom of them, then bolt the Cab to the Dolly....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline dunedigger

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
I might add, I made a few modifications after the cab that were very simple to make the front and back the same height and added cross members at the top and used it for my box.  Hard to see but it's under there.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
I built this one in no time with next to no cost.  I could wheel the cab around by myself arcoss the lawn.  I loaded it onto a trailer by meyself several times.  It worked so well I kept it.  I even used it to flip my cab on it's back to do the bottom.  I can't tell you how well this thing worked, it's great.
Now that's a Fine Example Dune! :o 8)  Kind of looks like it should be a Military Driver Trainning Simulator ;D :D
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
 oh i am going to get a car port with 7ft legs
Man Dusty, you and Chop like to make complicated things :o  LOL I'm Lazy, so Chop why wouldn't you just bolt or weld on some stubby legs on the frame pieces, that way you could mount some casters on the bottom of the legs, then just roll your dollies around by hand(No Fork needed) :-X

Dusty, why do you need a Dolly with 7ft legs in the first place??? Unless you plan on sliding under it, to work on the bottom of the cab :o  Your model has the basic idea of a Good Dolly, just make the base a True Square, and remove the center two slats(Better yet, take them, and use them to box in the bottom frame, to make it a four sided square)....  That's the basic design my Father-in Law used for his, just use Lag Bolts to piece the frame together...  Keep the current Stubby leg design, and add casters to the bottom of them, then bolt the Cab to the Dolly....

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

Thats all I am doing is welding legs ( 4-2ft peices of 2-3/8 fence post leftovers)to the frame and putting wheels on the legs to roll around my shop.The channel wil be there to center the forks, will take 5 minutes to add, and strengthen the frame section as well. As far as the forks on the tractor, they are there, and I would love to see someone roll a setup across my yard. Not that easy, would have to put four wheeler wheels and tires just to make it roll,lol. Besides, with the tractor, I can have it in and out in minutes, and not even break a sweat. Saves more time to work on the body instead of moving it... I am lazy too, thats why I want to let the tractor do the work ;D
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
that is cool

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »
Nice job guys, you've got the idea!
Dune, you get an A for the day. Your bed looks great, I have 3 torn apart right now to make one good one, thats what I've been using my dolly for lately. Keep up the good work!