Author Topic: Holley carb question  (Read 1648 times)

Offline sbx22

• Registered Users
  • 1974 1/2 ton 350 sbc
Holley carb question
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »
Ok, this weekend, changed out the fuel line from fuel pump to carb. I put in stainless steel braided rubber hoses. Looking at the quality of these hoses, they are flimsy (these are the russell fuel lines). Not as tough as fuel injected line. Anyway, These last two days, the engine has been intermittently sputtering, bogging down at idle. If you gas it, it runs normal. My Idle has dropped from about 700 to 500 when it acts up. I'm thinking some rubber debris on the inside got to the carb? I took off my air filter, looked inside where the fuel nozzles are. When I throttle it, it doesn't squirt gas. It just kind of dribbles off. It's supposed to squirt right?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Holley carb question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
     Yes, it is suppose to give you a steady stream when you floor it in the carb.  Do you have a screen on the inlet of the carb. and have you checked it to see if it is plugged ?
     Otherwise I would say time for a cleaning at the least if not a rebuild.  They are cheap and easy to do.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline jesse79

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
What did you use to cut the hose? Cut off wheel seems to be the most
Common and if not cleaned very well after it is very possible to get some rubber in the carb do you have a fuel psi gauge after your pump?

Offline sbx22

• Registered Users
  • 1974 1/2 ton 350 sbc
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
used cutoff wheel with black tape then blew with compressed air. well, off to do research on carb teardown. i'll check the filter/scrrens too. thanks guys.