73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Performance

86 c10 restomod Questions

(1/2) > >>

86restoc10:
Hi there, first time poster here. Little back ground on me is I'm 26 years old and have been in the Marine Corps for a little over 5 years stationed in NC. I'm currently building my first truck which is a complete tear down and rebuild. I'm planning on doing a LS swap and totally rewiring the truck. I have come across wiring kits for the truck but they include the harness for the original carbourated engine. Is there any aftermarket kits that will come with the needed harness for the LS or do I need to buy a stand alone harness and computer for the motor and the kit to do the rest of the truck? I appreciate any feedback. Any tips on building the truck are also appreciated. I plan on doing every part of the build including body work and paint.

Irish_Alley:
going to say this, the ecm is separate from the main wire harness and comes through the passengers side firewall. the main wire harness is only going to have lights and sensor wires for the gauges. when i pulled my 350 tbi out of my 91 crew cab i just pulled the wires through that hole in the passengers side and just had to cut and rewire sensors and maybe a few small wires for the distributor and starter
thank you for your service.

Rapid Roy:
Welcome

86restoc10:
I appreciate the feedback Irish_Alley.

75gmck25:
If you haven't already pulled all the stock wiring out of your truck, hold off on that job until you do a better evaluation.    If you are doing an LS swap with a computer, the wiring for that job is much more complicated than fixing the stock wiring in your truck. 

Most mechanics hate to troubleshoot wiring, but I don't think its worth the time and money to pull out the stock wiring that is probably about 90-95% functional, and then spend all your time installing a brand new wiring kit just to solve a few problems.  It costs money for the harness, its not that much fun crawling all around the truck, its tedious, and all you have when you get done is a truck that works as designed from the factory.

GM wiring color codes have been consistent for many years, and you can find all kinds of wiring diagrams online for your truck.  Troubleshooting and fixing the factory wiring is not that difficult if you stay focused and work methodically.   In most cases, the primary fix is to get all the ground wiring properly attached so that the power wires work the way they are supposed to.  When grounds are bad, devices find other paths to ground, and you get really weird symptoms, like having the instrument panel lights come on when you step on the brake pedal.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version