Author Topic: Where is the throttle position sensor?  (Read 8747 times)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Where is the throttle position sensor?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »
Is the tick from the distributor?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline bnoggle

Where is the throttle position sensor?
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
Is the tick from the distributor?
It may be from the distributor, or it may be from a valve. It only is noticeable when the engine is warm and at a higher rpm than idle. It gets louder the higher you rev the engine. It's hard to tell exactly where it comes from because of the engine noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:20:31 AM by bnoggle »

Offline bnoggle

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
I did a valve lash, set the timing, and set the idle speed again today. The tick is still present, so my guess is it is the distributor. The good news is the truck now idles better than it ever has before. There is still just a hint of a misfire when warm but the engine is smooth enough that it doesn't rattle the passengers too much when sitting at a red light. Do you think the little misfire is a distributor problem, or just an adjustment problem. If so what should I adjust again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »
Many excellent suggestions have already been made, and I will not attempt to re-invent the wheel.  I had a similar situation with my '85 Silverado.  After a complete engine swap with a fresh engine, the truck would not start at all.  I tinkered with the timing and then the idle mixture to get it to run, but my performance was terrible - lackluster power, shuddering, unburned fuel smell in the exhaust.  One day, sufficiently tired of this, I began spraying carb cleaner around the top of the engine.  Aiming at the back of the carb seemed to make the engine speed up.  Upon removing the carb, I discovered that I had cracked the throttle plate by over-tightening the brake booster line.  Replacing the throttle plate, re-timing, re-setting idle mixture, and now it drives like I had hoped for.

In my situation, I had retarded the timing and enriched the idle mixture far from what would normally be correct, just to get the truck to run at all.  Because it ran, I thought my adjustments had helped, when in reality they were just masking the real problem - a massive vacuum leak from my own carelessness.   

I am not necessarily suggesting that you have a vacuum leak.  You have already checked for that.  My point is that sometimes the erratic problems are caused by something that is not on our regular checklist.  By your statements, you have had most of your engine apart at some point in this endeavor.  Go back to the beginning.  Check everything from step one, even if it seems preposterous.  Persist and you will find the problem.  Good luck !