Author Topic: Car wont start. No power to anything stereo etc etc  (Read 4057 times)

Offline sammysamm

Car wont start. No power to anything stereo etc etc
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
I have a 1981 Chevy c20.454  I was  turning the key to start it and it made a popping sound. Now nothing works. I replaced the starter and i have a new battery. Still nothing....   Im new to trucks and i cant find the fuesable links... Only one one on the starter... What other fuses am i looking for ?... Or what else could be the problem. I haven't done anything to the car..  ,i just went to start it up and it had no power. Ps.  The last time i tried cranking it (before it didn't start) it definitely sounded like i blew something.

Offline bake315

• Frequent Member
Re: Car wont start. No power to anything stereo etc etc
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
Sounds like a hefty ground fault somewhere, and could have blown one of the links under the hood.  You replaced the starter and battery after this happened, right?  I would look would be the fusible links.  One is coming off the terminal junction block on the firewall. Then one near the starter and finally one up by the alternator.

One other thing - is it cranking - but not actually starting right now?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:09:01 AM by Irish_Alley »
• '73 Cheyenne Super C20 454/400 http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7672.0
• ’79 Scottsdale K10 350/NP208/SM465 “Oscar” http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=37885.0
• ’87 Custom Deluxe R30 350/400 “Felix”

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:40 AM »
yes i put new battery and starter after i heard the starter cut out. ground fault meaning i need to put in new fuse links? im a bit confused as how to do it. also can i tell if fuse is broken or do i need to replace them all?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
give the fusible links a tug from both sides, if its bad it should come apart also inspect the firewall for wires/fuses specifically between the master cylinder and motor. dont really think its an issue inside of the cab (fuses) because it would take a lot of popped fuses to lose all that but more between the firewall junction and starter B+ hot wire
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
What wire and fuses am i looking for. I will post pics of engine. And upload video if that helps.

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »
video of wiring mess https://vimeo.com/274767963

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »
The vehicle has three fusible links - two connected to the 3/8" battery cable stud on the starter solenoid and one connected to the firewall junction block (image).  Each factory link is ~6" long and splices into 12-gauge or 10-gauge red wires.  The gauge of each link is specific to the wire gauge it protects (see How to make a Fusible Link for important details).  The original wire splices are insulated with bulbous, cylindrically molded polyurethane covers.  Give each link a tug to see if it stretches or separates and inspect the terminal connections for looseness or heat discoloration.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:33:04 AM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »
If you happen to hook the battery up backwards, because GM's stock setup is to make both cables black, it will burn out that fusible link at the wire junction.  You don't have to ask me how I know.

The auto parts stores sell standard fusible links that you can splice in right below the junction.  The stock GM one is a 10 gauge wire with a 14 gauge fusible link for the older vehicle.  The package in the Help! section of parts may even be labeled "GM fusible link".

Bruce

Offline sammysamm

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
just wanted to thank all of you for fast replies. i had a mechanic take a look at it and it turned out that the battery terminal itself had a loose connection.   he did not charge me ..and now my truck is running good again .

thanks

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »
just wanted to thank all of you for fast replies. i had a mechanic take a look at it and it turned out that the battery terminal itself had a loose connection.   he did not charge me ..and now my truck is running good again .

thanks

nice, sometimes its something simple. we tend to just to the most common problems instead of checking the basics
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes