Author Topic: 10 bolt axle seal  (Read 12658 times)

Offline 86c10

Re: 10 bolt axle seal
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »
Someone (to include myself!) should've at least mentioned the cross pin bolt is not suppossed to be reused, this is a step often forgotten when replacing axle seals. More often than not is gets pulled out and given the once over and "looks good" so back in it goes. Guilty here of that also, the problem is the bolt often gets overtorqued. Its a preventative measure and honestly on some projects "get it back together quick" prevails over take precautions(Guilty of that too) Kinda still curious why the old seal went bad.Looks like a 12 bolt in your future?

At this point I think it will be the 12 bolt that goes in. It's a little more work that fixing the 10 bolt, but like you said what made the seal go bad in the first place and I don't know what kind of damage there might be on the axle itself.

Can I reuse the old axle U bolts or are do they stretch to much to be reused?

I know I'll have to change the speedo gear to make it read right, but I'm going to have to pull the trans at some point to fix a leak I have coming from the front pump seal or maybe the front pump gasket, so I'll change the speedo gear when I have the trans on the ground.

And I will make sure I replace the pinion shaft bolt before this is finished. Is it a dealer only part or can I get it at NAPA or Oreily's? I've seen them on ebay, but for a $3 part it seems like getting it locally would be easier.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:39:33 AM by 86c10 »

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
You can reuse the U bolts, provided the axle tubes are the same size which I believe they are.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline 86c10

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
You can reuse the U bolts, provided the axle tubes are the same size which I believe they are.

Thanks

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
I have never heard that you are not supposed to reuse the pin bolt. I have reused them and taken them out again years later without any problems. I don't doubt that you shouldn't as a rule, just never heard it myself.

As far as U bolts go any spring shop will tell you you shouldn't reuse them. Have I reused them? Yes I have, in a mud truck, or wheeling rig.
Anything that sees daily driving, or carries a load should always use new U bolts.
They stretch when torqued tight.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 86c10

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
As far as U bolts go any spring shop will tell you you shouldn't reuse them. Have I reused them? Yes I have, in a mud truck, or wheeling rig.
Anything that sees daily driving, or carries a load should always use new U bolts.
They stretch when torqued tight.

I thought someone years ago told me that they shouldn't be reused but I don't know where I heard that. The truck only gets about 500 miles a year, so I'm not sure if it wold be a big deal to use the old ones. I think they are original to the truck. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:33:37 PM by 86c10 »

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Does anyone have have first hand knowledge of a used U bolt failure? And yes they do stretch alot more than you would think, With that being said my personal opinion is that on a 1/2 ton 2wd, I don't really see a part failure in the future. You are 100% correct to error on the side of caution I agree whole heartly with you on that.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
I would think that damage to the threads would be the number one reason to replace them. For the money they cost it is a no brainer to use new ones. Like Blazin, I have reused u-bolts in my own rigs before. I have also driven a lifted CJ-5 with a loose rear end. Not the u-bolts fault but rusty spring perches that collapsed from abusing the jeep. Not a fun ride home.

Does anyone have have first hand knowledge of a used U bolt failure?
I have only ever seen one broken u bolt. Not sure if they were used or not. Not sure why it was broken either. It was broken down on the curved part.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline 86c10

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
Does anyone have have first hand knowledge of a used U bolt failure? And yes they do stretch alot more than you would think, With that being said my personal opinion is that on a 1/2 ton 2wd, I don't really see a part failure in the future. You are 100% correct to error on the side of caution I agree whole heartly with you on that.

I've never seen a u bolt fail either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

For the money they cost it is a no brainer to use new ones.

I know the cost isn't that much for new u bolts, but when I go from thinking I'll be at about $50 to fix the 10 bolt and now by the time I get the 12 bolt ready the right way I'm closer to $150. Yes $100 isn't the end of the world but on a really tight budget it hurts.

So far out of all the people that I've asked about this it's about 50/50 weather or not it's ok.

Offline 86c10

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
Well after 30 minutes a small screw driver,a pic and an awl I was able to remove the broken bolt. Working by flash light when it's 40 degrees out kind of sucks but it wasn't to bad. Tomorrow I'll pull the axles and see if they are damaged and then round up parts.

Offline 86c10

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
86c10 I would sniff around and find out why the seal went bad to begin with. It may be a matter of just a bad seal, however step 2 is to check your differential vent plug and more specific pull the rubber hose of the nipple at the pumpkin verify "clear" passage from inside the housing through your hose and breather. Occasionally they do become plugged, the pumpkin becomes pressurized and no matter how new the seal.... its gonna puke fluid. Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the tip pholliday. It turns out the vent was the problem, the nipple was plugged solid and so was the check valve at the end of the hose.From the looks of the brakes this has been going on for a long time. I found out I have a frozen e-brake cable to replace later on, but at least the truck is useable again.

Thanks for all the help guys.