Author Topic: Mid 70's Tilt steering column interchange?  (Read 40149 times)

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
Mid 70's Tilt steering column interchange?
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
I've searched the topics and found that some of you are are very knowledgeable about Chevy truck tilt steering columns.

I was wondering if someone knew if a tilt column from a 1978 Chevy truck would install and operate correctly with the wiring harness from a 1976 Chevy truck.
Neither have cruise control and they both have the wipers in the dash and not on the column.
That said, would it be a direct plug and play interchange?

Thanks so much guys.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Mid 70's Tilt steering column interchange?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
I am 99% the wiring will be fine however I think GM made a change in the intermediate shaft in 1977 not positive though... 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline sammy1759

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
I am 99% the wiring will be fine however I think GM made a change in the intermediate shaft in 1977 not positive though...

I just changed my 78 to a tilt column from 85 or 86.  Wires plugged in just fine the intermediate shaft did not. The old style has the bolt on the side and the new style had the bolt in the middle.  The old style is a splined shaft.  I just got the new style intermediate shaft and bolted it up at the rag joint.  Worked great.   Warning I will say that I do not know if the old shaft came as original to my truck or if it was replaced ever.  Firefighter you should be just fine with it. 

Sam

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
what sammy and zieg said. the only thing is to look at where the bolt is you should be good
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=10811.0
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:05:46 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies. I truly appreciate it.
I have both columns and the original intermediate shaft in the garage and I'll compare them today.
I'll post how it turns out so it may help someone in the future too.
Thanks again !!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
as long as you have both shaft and column off the same truck you will be good

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:42:16 AM »
OK, here are the two steering columns in question. The one on the left is the original 1976 column while the one on the right is a tilt column from a 1978 truck.
It appears both are the same style with the spline shaft and the retaining bolt on the side.
The only question is that the tilt shaft seems to have 2 more wires coming out of the column to the large electrical plug in connector. Why would the tilt column have two more wires and do we still think the tilt column would be a plug and play install?
Thank you again for your input.

Is the shaft at the bottom called the intermediate shaft? And is the "rag joint" the swivel part at the left?

The large electrical connector that the 78 is pointing to is the connector that has 2 more wires than on the 76 column. What would the two extra wires be for?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »
the rag joint is actually the rubber and metal joint in between the shaft and steering box. to tell you the truth idk about the wires maybe a warning chime for the key left in the cylinder?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:21 AM »
     The turn lever for the 78 looks like the one that had cruise control on it, there's not a push button at the end of the lever is there ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
the one with the extra wires is for the cruise control stalk on it that Bake74 is asking about...

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
     The turn lever for the 78 looks like the one that had cruise control on it, there's not a push button at the end of the lever is there ?

Wow, I can see now that the turn signal knob looks bigger on the 78 column. I never noticed that before.  I'll check it when I get home. If that's the case, I can't believe I would have missed that.
You know, my wife always accuses me of being blind.  8)
I'll let you know what I find, and thanks!!

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
the one with the extra wires is for the cruise control stalk on it that Bake74 is asking about...

You two gentlemen are nothing short of amazing. I ran home quick to check that turn signal arm and it does have a momentary push button in the end of it.
I guess I had never noticed it being that out of place since it's not one of those large turn signal levers with the cruise and wiper switches in it.
The two extra wires must be the momentary contact that engages the cruise. I'm now pretty confident this 78 column will be a direct replacement for the 76 non tilt column.

Thank you all again for the assistance. I hope this helps others in the future too.

Offline sammy1759

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
You can also take the wheel and  lock plate off to remove the turn signal cancel lever with the cruise and swap in the non cruise one if you want. All the parts should work just fine. I just did that on my "new" tilt column. The trucks not a cruise model and I like the way it looks cleaner with out the extra buttons for no reason.

~Sam

Offline Engineer

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
There is a difference in the connector for the turn signal switch. Sometime between 1975, and 1977 GM changed the connector. I had this problem when I tried to put a tilt column out of a 1975 in my 1977.

I do know that at one time there was an adaptor harness to prevent splicing the harness. If you run in to this problem you can just change out the turn signal switch.

I also know the connector in my 1977 matched the connector used through the end of production of the 73-86(91) GM full sized trucks.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

Since I've not spent much time working on steering columns. What is the assembly that that little rod comes down to (shown in the 3rd picture down)? Is that rod activated by the ignition switch or something?