Author Topic: moving starter wires to junction block  (Read 4694 times)

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
moving starter wires to junction block
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
1977 chevy c20 cheyenne , wiring diagrams suck im just sayin , so I am going to move and upgrade the charge wire which is currently at the starter , along with the fuse box feed to a junction block on the firewall , then run a new charge wire direct to battery ive heard 2 diferent opinions on where I should attach the sense wire for b3st performance

1 connect sense wire to junction block

2 connect sense wire to battery pos

any thoughts or opinions would be appreciat3d   appropriate wires will be fuseable link protect3d
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline enaberif

Re: moving starter wires to junction block
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
My starter has a total of 4 wires.

1) Battery Postive on large lug
2) Juction block power and alternator power on large lug
3) Purple wire on small lug @ the 3 position

Offline Jason S

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
any thoughts or opinions would be appreciat3d

Here is a pretty good write up on the charging system wiring and how GM did what they did and why: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

(compliments to Rich Weyend for originally posting the site in his write-up on the 12si upgrade http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=28316.0)

BTW, I wouldn't connect the 'sense' wire to the + terminal.  The long explanation is in the first link provided.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
thanks jason s ,  for the links - i was leaning more towards putting the sense wire on the new junction at the firewall which makes sense (no pun intended)

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »

yeah the prurple and battery connection have to stay (obviously) but im removing and upgrading cable size - and installing a new junction block on the firewall  alt charge, sense wire, fuse box feed will go to new junction -with a battery charge wire from the junction to battery .

this way the fuse box feed and charge wire are away from the liquid corrsion they spray on highways in the winter plus the wire upgrade will handle the new 100 amp alt

Offline enaberif

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »

yeah the prurple and battery connection have to stay (obviously) but im removing and upgrading cable size - and installing a new junction block on the firewall  alt charge, sense wire, fuse box feed will go to new junction -with a battery charge wire from the junction to battery .

this way the fuse box feed and charge wire are away from the liquid corrsion they spray on highways in the winter plus the wire upgrade will handle the new 100 amp alt

To be honest there really isn't any reason to go that crazy. The stock wiring is more than capable of handling 100 amps or more without any issues. If you want to do this for your own sake that is fine and do it by all means.. :D

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
I've seen several people do a remote relay likes on a old ford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk