Author Topic: 1985 k10 horn cig dome and curtassy lights not working  (Read 12939 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 1985 k10 horn cig dome and curtassy lights not working
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
Sounds like you still have a short.  Have you traced the wires?

Offline true74yamaha

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
I went threw the only place it could be is behind the gauge cluster where the wires come from the relay go up and over to go to the fuse panel.  I don't see why Id have a short there.  I was told that it has to be in the #240 circuit and it has to be out of the column sense the fuse pops right after being installed. Why also would my tail lights work but dome nothing? I do have a periodic short in the left one.  I think this is due to some rust under grounding screw behind the tail light bucket.  I would've cleaned it up and removed the rust I just didnt have sand paper handy.  Also dunno if I mentioned.

I pulled fuse and oem horn relay. I installed new fuse with relay out and fuse was fine.  As soon as I installed my new relay the fuse popped. Obviously a short caused this but where in the system would I look?   Also can someone post a pic of their fuse panel to make sure my wires at the top look like they are installed correctly please. 

Offline true74yamaha

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Used test light went from 204 circuit in relay side aka orange wire with a good  fuse in relay out.  Fuse didn't pop and the light came on.  Went ground to cig hot # 204 came on with relay out.  Does this mean column has a short?

Offline true74yamaha

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
Well the gm Gods thought they'd quit toying with me and show me the light or sound!!!

My truck needed a cigarette lighter dome light wiring fixed (haven't checked bulbs for curtassy lights maybe bad). After two relays and a few fuses, I hurd a click click from my relay when I pressed the horn button.  I then proceeded to remove the grille and hooked up my dr side horn a slight spark happened. Then proceeded to my LH horn and did a bigger spark and blew my fuse. I thought weird.  I disconnected my horns and tested them hooking up to the battery and my horns didn't work.  This was weird as I use to have them on a push button that I riged up in the cab. After the horns didn't work I went over to my work bench grabbed a old motor cycle horn and hooked a wire to the battery for a good ground and the other to my oem horn hot wire connector.  I then went to the cab hit my horn button on the column and to my surprise my horn blared.  I still think it's crazy that both my hi and low horns went to crap.  But some how worked intermittently. 

Offline Jason S

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
That is good news!

It is very interesting to hear about both horns shorting out...
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"