Author Topic: 1985 K30 Crew Cab Diesel to Gas CBB swapped wiring nightmare.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Bronze Knight

• Wage Slave with a Dream
Hello everyone! Let me start by saying I did not do this engine swap. Whoever did do it I hate their guts, anyway....

The facts.
Truck is a 1985 Crew Cab K30, started life with the 6.2 Diesel and a 3 speed Auto trans.
At some point someone put in a 454 CBB, engine is not stock though, it has an Edelbrock performer intake and aftermarket heads, I don't know what heads they are. I do know that they take Autolight 405 sparkplugs.
Block Casting (back of engine, drivers side, where it mounts up to the trans) number is 3999289 on the pad behind the alternator is stamped T020TRK (This is the engine ID code right?)

Truck does run and drive.
I have been running around adding the grounds listed here, I only have two more to add "back of right cylinder head-to-cabin firewall" and "cabin firewall-to-engine compartment hood"

What I would love to have some help with is identifying where some wires should go/what they should be hooked up to. I've been studying the wiring diagram in the technical pages forum for a while and have not had much luck finding the wires that I have on it.

Format: Photos of issues/wires needing identification followed by my text description of them.

Alternator looks like it had 4 wires on it but was cut down to 2, no idea why, I do have a normal 2 wire pigtail from a CSB I got at the pick-n-pull the other day, I should be able to use that here no problem right?

This, I think, is the Trans Kick down solenoid, but it has no wires running to it, what would be the best way to fix this?

This was mounted to the break booster, it looks like a resistor block of some kind to me but I again can't find it in the wiring diagram, was this something just for the diesel engine?

This orange wire was going through the firewall the pink wire goes to the fuse block, the the orange wire was connected to nothing and has no end on it, what should it connect to?

This thick (10 or 8 guage) wire is connected to the same wire as the one that plugs into the distributor, its a Y split with the tail of the Y going into the firewall/main fuse block. I think this was connected the to the alternator if i'm reading the wiring diagram right. The truck is running and driving as is so I'm not sure what this was powering.

The thick pink wire is the same as the above one, the other is a pink with black stripe that splits into three, it is part of the main fuseblock , again cant find any pink with black stripe on the wiring diagram for the engine bay.

These four wires (2 yellow, 1 orange, 1, yellow that ends in a connector and goes to black and then plugs into the radiator) all are part of the same pigtail connector that is just bellow the main fuseblock on the firewall. I assume that they are all sensors or various kinds but I can't find any yellow wires on the wiring diagram for the engine bay.

I have no idea what this is for, looks like it has a ground but I don't know what it plugs into. Again was this something just for the diesel engine?
1985 Crew Cab, 454, TH350, NP205
https://imgur.com/gallery/RgCm5QK

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 1985 K30 Crew Cab Diesel to Gas CBB swapped wiring nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 07:36:55 PM »

The orange wire pictured above routes through the firewall and connects to the detent solenoid bulkhead terminal protruding from the side of the transmission case...

The pink wires pictured below originally supplied ignition power to the injection pump fuel control solenoid and the glow plug controller.  One of the wires has been repurposed to power the distributor.  The second pink wire can be severed and discarded.

Many of the wires you are questioning were specific to 6.2L powered vehicles.  Studying the attached diesel wiring diagram should resolve most of your remaining questions.

Does (did) the truck have factory A/C?

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Bronze Knight

• Wage Slave with a Dream
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »

The orange wire pictured above routes through the firewall and connects to the detent solenoid bulkhead terminal protruding from the side of the transmission case...

Ok thats one down! I'll put an end on it and rut it down there.

The pink wires pictured below originally supplied ignition power to the injection pump fuel control solenoid and the glow plug controller.  One of the wires has been repurposed to power the distributor.  The second pink wire can be severed and discarded.

Ok, thankyou! That clears that up! I'll cut it off and clean all that up.

Many of the wires you are questioning were specific to 6.2L powered vehicles.  Studying the attached diesel wiring diagram should resolve most of your remaining questions.
AhHA, that does clear some things up, I thought the V8 Diagram was for both gas and diesel, I found a bigger copy of it here that is easier to print. Now maybe things will make more sense!

Does (did) the truck have factory A/C?

Yes the truck did have factory AC. I do want to add it back in, the evaporator can be saved I think, but I'll have to source a new compressor and brackets.
1985 Crew Cab, 454, TH350, NP205
https://imgur.com/gallery/RgCm5QK

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 10:57:13 PM »
Since the truck originally had factory A/C, the harness pictured below with the dark green and black wires connects to the A/C compressor clutch coil...

The light green wire pair would connect to an idle speed solenoid if one were present on the carburetor.

FYI - Most of the factory repair and wiring manuals, as well as select system manuals, can be found in the 1973-87(91) Factory GM Pickup Manuals thread located in the Technical Pages on this site.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:02:03 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)