Author Topic: Help Replacing Hoses  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Wriggs86

Help Replacing Hoses
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »
I've got an 86 Chev. Silverado.  Everything is original an in good shape.  However I'm looking to do a complete restoration of engine and body as a learning project.  I was cleaning the engine, hoses, carb., etc. and found that some of the hoses have some slight wear.  I've read on this site and through some of the books that a few of my exhaust issues and other performance issues can be caused by leaks in the hoses and vacuums.

Can anyone help with the changing of hoses and any percautions I need to take, and what products to buy.

Thanks.

Wriggs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Help Replacing Hoses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »
Take pictures of the hose lay out, mark all hoses on the pictures (using tape as a label) and just take off what is there and go to the local parts store and get pieces cut just like the originals.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »
Is the best practise to replace all hoses regardless.  For the replacement is it as easy as shutting off the engine, loosing the clamps, pulling the hoses, and replacing?

Also, should I be replacing the belts?

Wriggs

Offline shortbox85

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
if your doin a engine overhaul and bosy over all, id replace the belts if u restore the engine or even hype up the performance of it

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm not looking to overhaul or make a street truck.  I'm just trying to learn the basics and in the process make the engine run better.  I wasn't sure if the belts were a good thing to replace since the engine is original and it's unknown when they were last replaced.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
The belts need to be replaced if they are worn.  Worn is normally where it is seperating on the bottom or the top.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project