73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Suburbans

Barn door hinge pins

(1/2) > >>

Pheday:
I’ve got a 1990 Suburban with barn doors. The barn doors are sagging pretty badly. They nearly touch at the top when closed and there is a big gap at the bottom. Are these hinge pins larger than your standard door hinge pins? I’m guessing they are but I’ve never actually taken one apart. I think my bushings are worn out and my pins may be bowed a little. Are the pins replaceable or do you have to scrounge a whole new hinge assembly?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum. Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pheday:
Here is a sample pic of a removed barn door hinge pin and bushing. There are two bushings per pin. The pins about 2 11/16” in length. They are shorter than the regular door hinge pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bd:
The pin doesn't appear significantly worn.  Have you checked with a large inventory local hardware store or Amazon for the oilite bushings?  Don't forget to take samples with you.

Pheday:
Thanks BD. No I haven’t checked there yet, but I will. Those pins in the pics are from a donor set of hinges I got from a junkyard in Sacramento. I haven’t actually removed mine yet. I suspect my pins are more worn and the bushings are brittle. Thank you. Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatzie:
It looks like the center pivot on the body side is broken and spinning freely between the door side pivots...  The bottom isn't looking particularly healthy either.
I don't have a Squarebody Suburban to compare so...

Could you take a picture of the hinge with the door swung open?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version