Author Topic: Drum Brakes Question!  (Read 2190 times)

Offline AJII

Drum Brakes Question!
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
Hey Guys,

Rebuilding the rear brakes on my K10 and have a few questions.

I keep reading about some "wavy washers" that should be there? But I have taken mine apart, and do not see anything of the sort. Possible they have been lost over the years, or do some set ups just not have them? Anyone have a picture of what they should look like?

Also, what are these and where do they go? My spring set came with four of them, but again, I do not see any of these on my truck. Help?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Drum Brakes Question!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
     When you buy rebuild kits they come to fit several different models.  If yours did not have those when you pulled them off they are not soppose to be there.  That is unless someone took them off in whice case I would think your brakes would not be working.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
"Wavey washers" have ~5/16" ID.  They're an anti-rattle spring.  When used, they fit over the pivot pin at the top of the park brake lever arm, between the lever arm and the rear brake shoe.  The lever arm 'pin' is inserted from the back side of the shoe through a round mounting hole in the shoe and retained with either an "E-clip" or a "horseshoe clip."  However, there is a second design park brake arm that mounts with a slot-and-tab design, that doesn't use the pin and 'wavey washer.'  The primary difference between the two is in the pivot.

The image you posted is an adjusting slot hole plug that is used for brake designs with the adjusting slot in the backing plate.  Most of the later GM adjusting slots were in the drum.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline AJII

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
"Wavey washers" have ~5/16" ID.  They're an anti-rattle spring.  When used, they fit over the pivot pin at the top of the park brake lever arm, between the lever arm and the rear brake shoe.  The lever arm 'pin' is inserted from the back side of the shoe through a round mounting hole in the shoe and retained with either an "E-clip" or a "horseshoe clip."  However, there is a second design park brake arm that mounts with a slot-and-tab design, that doesn't use the pin and 'wavey washer.'  The primary difference between the two is in the pivot.

The image you posted is an adjusting slot hole plug that is used for brake designs with the adjusting slot in the backing plate.  Most of the later GM adjusting slots were in the drum.

Thanks alot for that reply! Put it all back together as it came off and all is well.

Just never know when working with something this old if something is supposed to be there, but isn't!