Author Topic: Bad booster? Replaced master, no power brakes, vacuum leak  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Junkie

Bad booster? Replaced master, no power brakes, vacuum leak
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
A couple weeks ago my master went bad and started pushing fluid from the front reservoir to the rear. This morning I replaced the master, only to find that I don't have power brakes.

I noticed a hissing, pinched the hose from check valve to booster and hissing stops/idle drops.

Is there any chance I could have bumped something that I need to fix, or do I need a new booster?
1973 C20, 350/350

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad booster? Replaced master, no power brakes, vacuum leak
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
If the 11/32" vacuum hose is not perforated and the check valve grommet is not torn and the check valve is not cracked/broken, replace the booster.  It probably has a torn diaphragm.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Junkie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
is there anything I should know about replacing a booster? never had one off before

when I pinch the line between the check valve and the booster the hissing stops, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the check valve

should I replace the check valve anyway?
1973 C20, 350/350

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
The check valve is located on the booster.  The vacuum hose runs between the intake manifold and the check valve.  Post the year, make, model and a pic of what you are working on.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)