Author Topic: water leaks  (Read 9923 times)

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
water leaks
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
have water leaking in the cab down over both floor vents (from above on both sides) what do you guys think...windshield? Recently had a new one put in, but leaks on both sides?
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: water leaks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
i would think windshield maybe the water is collecting on one side and just by taking turns and movement then running down to the other side and dripping down
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline DrDaryl

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
Mine leaked at the upper windshield; had it resealed but still leaked and finally had a silicone sealant put on the gasket and that did the trick.  I found mine sitting in the truck while it was actually raining; never could find it by running the hose pipe.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:17:09 AM »
have water leaking in the cab down over both floor vents (from above on both sides) what do you guys think...windshield? Recently had a new one put in, but leaks on both sides?
Yes!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
     Could the cowl area if rusted, leak like that inside the cab ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
Thanks guys,
Cowl is solid. In fact, I ran the hose down it and no leaks. Has to either be in the windshield or a body seam. Taking it back to the glass shop.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
If the cowl is ok, make sure they didn't seal up the weep holes in the windshield, or make sure the weep holes are rotted out.

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'll check that out if I can. How could I check it?  How would a plugged weep hole make it leak?

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
can anyone advise on this?? how do I find them to check them?

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
Here's a pic of mine.  its the hole I've got weld and an arrow pointing too.  the round hole is how its supposed to be, the rust is because it got plugged and water just sits there and doesnt drain off.

you just peel up the edge of the windshield gasket to take a look.

Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
      So let me get this straight, you are not suppose to weld up the hole but leave it open so it can drain water off, correct ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
      So let me get this straight, you are not suppose to weld up the hole but leave it open so it can drain water off, correct ?

Yeah, sorry bout that!  I had the body shop LEAVE the ROUND hole in the middle, which is the stock drain hole, but patch and weld in a repair for the rusty part.  that was the ONLY rust on my entire truck body too.  when i took the windshield out, some of the sealer they used at the factory on the gasket plugged the hole up and rusted out a little.  the other side was fine though.

That was back when I was having my truck painted, I went all over that thing with a sharpie, circling EVERY ding or dent I could find, and writing "WELD" next to things I thought should be welded.  they were good so the word "weld" wasnt necessary but I didn't wanna take chances on some halfway bondo fix in a place like that, or anywhere else for that matter.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
Help me understand how this works... If that hole gets plugged up, then does the water go up and over the pinch weld? If it drains properly, it goes down thru the cowl? Not seeing how this prevents a leak?

Thanks for the pic Chevyrado, knowing the exact location will help lots!

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
If the hole gets plugged, the water can't get out, and eventually will make it start to rust.

Normally, when it was new, the water drained out the small hole and into the cowl, and then it could dry out under the gasket.

Once its rusted:  On my truck in the pic, it wasnt rusted enough to get to leak into the cab itself.  but on a lot of trucks, the rust hole will be WAY bigger, and if the rust reaches the wrong part, back by that pinch weld (or at the pinch weld itself) and eats a hole back there, then water can get inside the cab.   also another popular place they rust is under the cowl where the wiper arm linkages are.  leaves and pine straw, etc. get there and decompose and then sit there.  rust will start eventually there too.

I've seen trucks that once the windsheild was removed, there were literally slots rusted through by the pinch welds, all the way across the cab.

Look where the pinch welds are in the pic.  the outer layer, is the same piece that is over the cowl.  the inner layer is all thats between the inside and outside of the cab.  if the outer layer rusts through, water just goes to the cowl and runs off.  if the inner layer rusts through, water can get to the inside of the cab behind the dash.
Kenny

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks Kenny! Now I get it!