Author Topic: VSS - 4l60e swap  (Read 9585 times)

Offline smurfasaur

VSS - 4l60e swap
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
Swapping a 5.3/4l60e into my K20 with an NP208 that has a cable speedometer. I thought I had a good solution worked out for the VSS (using Dakota Digital SEN 01-4160 driven off the mechanical speedo cable in the transfer case coupled with a SGI-5e to increase the output to 128k/mile), but I was just reading on Jags That Run that the only way to make a VSS work right with a 4x4 mechanical speedo is to use a clamp on reluctor ring on the output shaft of the tranny, and drilling a hole in the tailhousing/4x4 adapter for the VSS.

Anyone else running a similar combo? What are you guys doing to solve the VSS issue?

Price wise it would be cheaper to go for the drilling and reluctor ring, which would probably give a more reliable reading (and I already have the VSS off the 2wd tailhousing my tranny came with). But at the same time I’m a little squeamish about drilling a hole in my tranny adapter (kinda hard to fix if I eff it up).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smurfasaur

Re: VSS - 4l60e swap
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Nobody has any info? Does anyone know any members or even someone not on the forum who has a similar setup that I could pick their brain?

Getting close to being able to stick everything in the truck and machining a hole in the tranny tail housing would be much easier if I did it before it was installed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »
The VSS input depends on what you are using for a controller. Are you using a factory PCM?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline smurfasaur

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Yep factory pcm so it should want the 40 pulse per revolution. The more I research I think it will be fine to go the Dakota Digital route... May not shift quite right in Low but I have maybe used Low twice in my years of driving a 4x4 so I’m not super concerned.

Also I was thinking, does anyone know if the speedometer is “off” when driving a truck in Low? Thinking it must be since the speedometer gear is in the output housing of the NP208 I have.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
Why not run a 40 pulse vss? Just google it and there are different solutions depending on which way you want to set it up. I would use a pass through Like #3
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline smurfasaur

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
I would love to run a 40 pulse pass through sender, but I can’t find one! The number 3 you are referring to is a 4 pulse sine wave sender, not a 40 pulse sender. I saw that too and got excited but the number 3 you’re referring to is the descriptions of the different types of stock speed sensors. Below the pictures are the descriptions of the speed sensors JTR sells

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
email Chris CaptKaos here and see if he can get you a price on a signal converter or try advance adapters.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline smurfasaur

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
Ended up ordering the Dakota Digital passthrough 8k sender and the SGI 5e before I saw your response about emailing Cap. I’ll post up if it works or not I’m surprised there isn’t more info about this somewhere on the interwebs

Offline hdaniels

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 05:20:02 PM »
Ended up ordering the Dakota Digital passthrough 8k sender and the SGI 5e before I saw your response about emailing Cap. I’ll post up if it works or not I’m surprised there isn’t more info about this somewhere on the interwebs

Doing a LS swap with a similar set-up. I have a 4L60E transmission and NP208 transfer case. I am using a Holley Terminator X Max for the ECU and to control the transmission. I am trying to determine which pulse generate VSS to install. Dakota Digital makes two different Speedometer pulse generators. 128k High Frequency GM Pulse Generator Part# SEN-01-128 and Speedometer 8K Pulse Generator SEN-01-1. I can't figure out which one to purchase. How is your set-up working for you?

Thanks!
1973 K5 Blazer 4x4