Author Topic: cab and chassis dually  (Read 12807 times)

Offline momorales511

cab and chassis dually
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »
yea so I bought an 83 crew cab dually without a bed on it( she was a fire station truck and had a utility box on it) found a dually bed and put it on only to find out that it looks like dookie! the rear wheels are so far into the dually fenders it looks really funny. Upon some research its a cab and chassis?? narrower rear end? Please help with some options. replace axle?, will a regular bed fit? Thanks Ryan

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: cab and chassis dually
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
tell you the truth im guessing, but i think a reg bed will fit fine as long as its the right length. or you could find a dually axle. i think that would be cheaper but  imo the dual wheels stuffed under a reg bed looks good.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:25:56 AM »
imo the dual wheels stuffed under a reg bed looks good.
x2

If you have a dually bed on it and it fits wheelbase wise then a regular fleetside bed will work.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline momorales511

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:09:24 AM »
If replacing the axle....is it just a R&R or do things need to be reworked?

Offline otisd85

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
swapping the axle "should" be a direct bolt in project. a dually pickup would have a rear sway bar, and the c&c's i have do not. the shock mounts, spring perches, u joint, brake lines, and e brake cables should all be interchangeable. if you want to do a srw fleetside bed with the dual c&c rear end, i believe modifications to the inner wheel wells are necessary. if you want a dually pickup rear end from this era you need a dana 70, if you want a 14 bolt dually pickup rearend you'll be looking for one from the 90's, but some fab work will be required for the spring perches and shock mounts.

assuming your truck is 4x4, since it was a fire truck if you want to go srw (single rear wheel) you want to make sure you get a 1 ton 14 bolt as the 3/4 ton have wider spring perch spread, and then you can just swap your drw front hubs for srw hubs. if its 4x2 i don't know if you can simply swap front hubs or not.

also, i think this is a given, but if tour truck is 4x4 you need to find out what gear ratio you have when swapping out your rear axle so you don't mix the wrong gears. if its a 4x2 you have several possibility's for the gearing option that will suit your needs best.

hope this helps, otis

Offline momorales511

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
Hey thanks Otis, Thats some good info! Im going with the srw bed and the duals. Get the best of both worlds, and  I think its sleek looking not to mention unique. I believe a body lift will get the inner wheel wells cleared. Thanks again.