Author Topic: Help with underhood wiring  (Read 6996 times)

Offline IUFAN87

Help with underhood wiring
« on: March 12, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
Hello, I recently purchased a 1985 Chevy Silverado 4x4. There is evidence that at some point it has had an underhood fire. When someone done the repairs they removed the temp sending unit and idle solenoid. The wiring that runs along the right valve cover has been repaired. I am having trouble locating the wire for the temp sending unit. I found a pink wire with a black tracer that has been cut. Can someone tell me the factory color of this wire and approximately where it is routed ie. which side of engine does it come in on? Also what color is the choke wire from the factory? The one going to it is light blue. I also noticed that there are two different sized, green wires routed on the left valve cover. The big one goes to the a/c compressor and the small one has been cut off about 10 inches away from the compressor. Thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Idle stop sol is pink/black, coolant sending unit is dark green, choke heater is light blue. The dark green big wire goes to the compressor and back to the low side switch. The light green wire goes from the low side switch to the fast idle solenoid.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline IUFAN87

Re: Wiring
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks Vile, that is exactly what I needed to know. I've got my temp gauge working now. :D  

Offline DainBramaged

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
I have an 86 that I am wiring up...  anyone have an online wiring diagram, or just a complete rundown of each wire and what it belongs too?

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
hey,dainbramaged you could try this site.
brochures.slosh.com/                                                 it has some wiring diagrams . hope this can help.

Edited by: bfofish at: 3/13/06 5:19 pm
1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »