Author Topic: Valve adjustment nightmare, please help  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Valve adjustment nightmare, please help
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
Well I just got my new cam in, and, no matter what I do I can't get the valves adjusted right. I've done it the clean way, the messy way and nothing seems to work. When I get the rockers quited down theres no power, but bring the rockers back up about 1/2 turn, monster power but it sounds like it's got a solid cam. The new bumpstick is a Comp cams .480 lift, 220 degree duration @ .050 lift. Unfortunately it didn't come with new lifters so I reused the old ones, which are only about 6 months old.Am I going to have to get new lifters? From What I've been told, the springs in my heads are good for at least .480 to .500 lift. Please help, I really miss waking up my neighbors !!

Edited by: Z28 c10 at: 3/14/06 11:15 pm

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
valves
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »
Sounds like you might be tightning them down to much. Also your lifters might need to be repumped. They might be getting oil back up in them and it might be throwing off your adjustment.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: valves
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »
Have you looked at this method.  It is what I use all the time:
www.73-87.com/7387garage/...lvlash.htm

Side note:
Putting old lifters on a new cam equals bad news as they seat together during break-in.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: valves
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks alot for the info guys but upon further investigation, I've found that my rockers are the short slot rockers, so, I'm getting stud interferance. Hopefully, after getting new lifters and rockers she'll be back on the road.