Author Topic: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)  (Read 57545 times)

Offline mattevandavis

Re: 73 Shortbed Stepside Complete Rebuild (LOTS OF PHOTOS)
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
This week we focused on the front clip.  The new body bolts came in and we replaced all of the old rusty ones.  We mounted the grill and fabricated some brackets to use the stock holes.  We still have not finished the brackets for the top holes, but it is coming along nicely.  We also mounted the bumper.  It is still covered in dust from storage.

The grill brackets are simple 90 brackets from the hardware store.  We used sheet metal screws to mount them to the core support and longer 1.5" automotive finish screws to reach the additional distance.  A spacer was made of metal brake line and flared at the ends to provide more surface area.  It's not shown in the photos but it was all painted black after fitting it.

We had a very special guest mechanic to assist with installing random bolts and a bumper.  This is my daughter Maisie.  She was not very excited when we told her a real mechanic needed a grease rag.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
Cute. I'm looking forward to putting my daughters to work in the near future :)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
im not so sure i can put my daughter to work, shes too evil  ::)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
Another Saturday: more progress.  After fitting the grill and the headlight bezels we realized that we needed to install the horn still.  There was some debate and question about where and how.  None of the literature that we had showed any drawings of the horn install.  We saw several on the internet that were newer and had the horn in a different location.  We finally determined the one we had mounted over the top of an exposed cage nut just behind the driver side of the grill.  There were several other smaller projects, but I did not take photos.

I had my special guest helper again.  It was hard to pin her down for more than about 5 minutes at a time, but she would get in there and help just the same.
Video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E1P1ZBMb1Yc8uY3k1

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:03:21 AM by mattevandavis »

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
It has bee a while since I have posted.  Took some time off for Mother'd Day and NHRA Southern Nationals.

To start things off I have had a time with the headlights.  I purchased new "Euro" lights from   that would not quite fit.  The rear of the light hits the bucket before the light seats. 

You can install them still, but it puts a lot of stress on the tabs on the retaining rings.  I do not trust it.

The supplier. that I apparently can not name  :o, did make efforts to assist including sending me assembled lights, but with the same issue.  I opted to use the sealed beams that seat completely and do not stress the tabs.

We also installed the door glass and vent windows on both sides.  The vent windows were a bit tricky, but ample Sil-Glyde and a little maneuvering and they will slide right in.
This video was useful to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMKPuS1NJQ

The steering shaft needed to be cleaned up and I was hoping to replace the rubber boot.  I never was able to find an adequate replacement so the old boot went back on.  It was in good condition, but I'd prefer new condition.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:26:16 AM by mattevandavis »

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
The steering shaft is all cleaned up:

We also installed the filler neck

A test fit of a new metal radiator.  Dave picked this up from a vendor before everything became plastic caps.  It was new in box.  It is made to fit multiple years and configurations, but it fit perfectly.

Next was to install the drip rails.  This was a hard task - not in complexity, but the truck has never had drip rails.  It was an option in 73 not standard equipment.  So we had to find the  place to install them and drill fresh holes in my baby. 

Installing the stainless trim is not overly complex, but it needs a little motivation.  We kept working it until it went on.

On the drivers side I was not so lucky.

The trim was twisting too much on on the frame.  Pretty sure i need to close the gap on the frame to prevent this the next time.  New drip rail in on the way.

This last one is a pic of the 57 2 door wagon.  Just cool.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:27:29 AM by mattevandavis »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
Assembling the drip rails is never fun
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
We finished the drip rail on the driver's side.  I installed the rail close to the edge of the door.  There should probably be more gap.  The door clears it, but only by about .1 inch. 

We also installed the remaining door hardware.  It took a few minutes to sort out how all of the door lock rods went in.  One of the few items Dave did not have through instruction on.  We were short a few rod retaining clips, but nothing another order to   will not fix.

We also did several other follow up items like install our ground wires, run the wiring harness to the passenger side, install the breather for the gas tank, and more.

We started to put the door panels on, but realized we still needed to install the side view mirrors.  These doors were NIB GM doors and have never had any hardware on them.  Looks like we wll be drilling more holes...  :'(

Going to go with convex stainless  mirrors.  If any one has any advise on installing it is welcome.  We have 2 salvage doors that we can use for reference and hopefully a template.  I have also researched and found I need to purchase the mirror braces.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 06:29:47 AM »
Use a paper trace and mask the area with tape. Use 1/4-20 insulated jack nuts if it's already painted, use non-insulated if you still have to paint it. The bottom braces will keep the mirrors from bouncing around.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
We have a mirror installed!  We studied how to install the mirror a good portion of the day; bouncing ideas back and forth about how to get the holes in the right spot.  We decided that the bracket hole at the bottom of the mirror was the most important since the bracket dictated where that would go.  Luckily someone had given Dave a set of doors that had old mirrors on them. 

The old doors had been retrofit with the door mirrors and had no brackets, but when we installed the support bracket it lined up perfectly.  We used a piece of non-corrugated cardboard to mark the lower hole on the door.  We lined the cardboard up on the edge of the door and the body line; the old door had a piece of trim that we used to rest the cardboard on.  Then we used a punch to make a hole.  On the new door I taped the body line and then taped a ruler to the door to rest the cardboard on.  Finally we drilled a 3/8" hole.

I measured from the body line to the existing holes on the old door and marked approximately were they would be on the new door. With bottom hole located and drilled on the new door we were able to use the mirror bracket as a template for the top holes.  The top holes aligned with the marks on the door so we started drilling the holes.  We started with the non slotted hole on the bracket and test fit it and then did the slotted hole and test fit.

I painted the bare metal with chassis black, and we used 1/4-20 nutserts in the top holes.  I finished the nutserts of with a bit of chassis black as well.  Not really worried about them rusting, but I wanted to make sure any exposed body metal was covered.

Everything came together very well.  We will do the drivers side door in a month or so.  Next wee we head to Beachbend raceway for the NHRA Holley Hot Rod Reunion, and the following week I will have surgery on my foot which will put me out of commission for about a month.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:21:47 AM by mattevandavis »

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
It has been over a month, but we got back to it this past week.  We hit several snags but nothing we cant work though. 
First thing we started to work on is putting on the driver's side mirror.  This turned out to be a bit more involved than we expected it to be.  We used the template that we made for the passenger side, and quickly found out that the bracket for the driver's side is actually a bit shorter (moving the hole closer to the front of the vehicle).  We decided to order a second passenger side bracket and compare before moving forward.  I have seen other posts that suggest it wont work, but the geometry seems similar so we are going to see.

After that setback we decided to put on the door panel on the passenger side.  This too turned out to be more complex than planned.  The door lock knob rod came off post install 2 times.  The rod was connected correctly but the clip was not holding.  It would lock in and stay for endless testing, but 5 minutes after we installed the door panel it would pop off.  On the third attempt we used a new retaining clip and so far everything has stayed in place.  We were also not happy with the new window roller handles.  They fit and look nice, but the fit is very loose with a ton of wobble.  On closer inspection we notice the OEM handles seat much deeper and do not wobble.  We will more than likely try to clean up the OEM handles.

We also tried to install the new washer bottle.  Again thwarted.  The 73 correct washer bottle mounts in the fender in a cutout, which is what I purchased for a replacement.  The problem is the fender had the marking but not the cutout.  It does have the threads to accept a newer 76-84 washer bottle.  We did not discuss cutting out the location for the OEM style bottle.  I'm thinking it may be better to use the 76 bottle rather than do that big of a modification post paint.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
After stalling out on several smaller projects we decided to focus on a new project the transmission.  I cleaned the outside up many years ago, and it has sat since.  The plan is to replace all of the seals and give it a coat of engine paint.

A pic Mr.Peabody and I took on a trip in the Wayback machine.

We started tithe the output shaft removing the yoke nut, output shaft, speed sensor, and back plate.  We thoroughly cleaned all of the removed parts and gave them a coat of Duplicolor cast iron engine paint.  It matches quite well.  We replaced output shaft seal, and rear case seal.  This is a pic of the final product.

While it doesnt seem like much it takes a lot of time to clean and prep all of the parts, and constantly going back to the drawing board due to setbacks, and I am still not at 100% mobility.  That said we actually got a lot done.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 04:39:07 PM »
We revisited the driver's side mirror today.  The brackets are about an inch different.  The passenger side mirror bracket will work on either side if you do not already have a hole.  I assume they made the driver side closer to the front of the truck for a better angle to the driver.

That said we drilled the holes and installed the mirror:

We also installed the new grill emblem.  The test fit it fit fine, but it is a bit off when i pressed it flat.  Nothing that prevented it from fitting, but if you get close the upper left corner of the bow-tie is a bit bent.

The new washer bottle also went in.

Today's big project was honing and blasting the front brake calipers.  We also blasted a few odds and ends that are not shown like the spare tire retaining bolt, tire iron, etc.
Dave is no longer in the sandblasting business, but he still has a sizable cabinet for smaller jobs.

Before:

After:

I painted the calipers with G2 paint as well.  Both of the sprayers I ordered to spay the paint with were shot so I had to brush the paint on.  If you're not familiar with G2 it is a true 2 part epoxy and once mixed you must use the paint.  The good news is it self levels so brushing the paint will turn out good.  Maybe not as clean as a spray, but good.  I will post pics of the finished product soon.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
This weekend we finished the brake rebuild and then shifted gears to put an engine back in a GMC Sonoma. 

As promised pics of the painted calipers.  You cant see brush strokes, but the spray method is both easier and better looking.

I had a little helper again today.  Today she was more focused and assisted first by removing the old rubber caliper pin gaskets.  Then she sat with a pic and scraped paint build up out of the journals where they sit.  She also reinstalled all of the caliper pin gaskets.  Dave and I put in the piston seal and dust boot.

Maisie also assisted in sanding a part that I did a horrible job of painting.  When we have a less humid day I will spray this black; again.

Offline mattevandavis

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »
The engine arrived last week.  It is an ATK HP94. 

We installed a few of the bolt on items like the balancer, fuel pump, etc.  We quickly found that the water pump bolts would not fit the new Stewart aluminum water pump, and we needed several gaskets that we thought we had.  A lot of the day was spent locating the bolts, cleaning them up, and painting them. 
We will swap out the valve covers for aluminum ones, and we will do a few other dress up items along the way.

We also found out that the balancer that ATK suggests for this engine does not fit the timing bracket they included, and the dipstick that they recommended does not appear to fit in the dipstick hole either.  We had another timing bracket that fit nicely, but needed a bit of paint.  The dipstick is an ongoing search.

The truck did not come with power brakes, but we have retrofitted a booster to the truck.  This meant that the brake lines did not go to the correct locations and we had to do some creative bending to make everything fit.  Not bad for guess work.  They will get cleaned up and fresh paint when we bench bleed the master cylinder.

We took on a side project of taking the windshield out of Dave's 57 wagon too.  The glass is cracked and will be replaced, but neither of us had taken glass out of a 57 before.  It went pretty smoothly considering.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:54:06 PM by mattevandavis »