Author Topic: The 2082  (Read 36099 times)

Offline Calebmcclellan

The 2082
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Hey guys I thought I used to be a member on here but I guess not.  Anyways i figured I'd share a few pics of my latest project.  It's a 82 shortbed that I am putting onto a 2000 4x4 frame with the 5.3.  Its not going to be a show truck or anything just somethin to drive in the winter. Anyways here's a few pics. I just got started on it a few days ago and plan on having it done within a month or so

I am using a s10 blazer console shifter and got some door lock actuators to put in it and a few other little things. Still need to get a dash pad.

Does anyone have a link to any other body swap like this?  I've seen one on YouTube but haven't seen any pictures of it. Questions, comments, criticism welcome. Thanks

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: The 2082
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
what are you going to do about the extra length?  There is someone here that started a body swap.

Offline kopeck

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »
I've never seen a engine hoist used like that before!

Clever.

K

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
It'll have to be shortened obviously. Probably about a foot and a half chopped out of it.  When I shortened my c20 it was 14" I think. But that was taking a long bed to a shortbed. 
Yeah that fence post I bolted to the cherry picker is a lifesaver.  It works great. You just have to have it centered perfect because it will slip off 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
After I posted that I saw your link in the bottom for your C20, care to post some info on it.  You still have it?

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »

You bet I've still got it. I probably won't ever get rid of that one.  Is was originally an 86 c20 with a 454/th400 that I picked up for next to nothin and I shortened it down to a shortbed and put the cummins and twin turbos and 5 spd in it.  The engine, trans, radiator and intercooler all came from a 94 dodge.  Basically the only thing original to the truck is the cab and tailgate.  All the sheet metal was replaced , rockers and cab corners too. It has cavalier buckets and a 03 center console and overhead console, nice infinity speakers and small sub. It hasn't been driven much this year cause it doesn't have a/c but It was my daily driver until I had a kid and I got the blazer then so I could have a back seat, and I just had to swap a 5.3 into it.  the cummins has 420k miles on it and makes over 1000 ft lbs of torque and gets 25 mpg if you drive it easy.

Anyways I got a little work accomplished on the 2082 tonight.

I can't believe how close the body mounts are.  As you can see the core support is sitting right on top of the mounts, just a little wider so drilling a new hole up thru it will be easy.  The 2000 frame is a lot wider and that had me worried but the front cab mounts sit right square on top of the frame and even line up halfway close to an existing bolt hole.  The bed isn't going to be as easy. It looks like I'm gonna have to cut and move the front mount and maybe drill some new holes for the rear mounts  but i still need to get it up on stands and leveled to make sure everything comes out strait.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I would consider making the bed bolt down like the new models.  Weld a captured nut in the cross sills and bolt it from the bottom with no exposed head, that way would could put the bed mounts at any width location.

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:01:25 AM »
Yeah I thought about doing that but it depends on how close the mounts are.  I might just square it up and drill new holes thru the bed and frame just cause its simple and quick.

Do you have a link to that other body swap you said was on here?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
That looks pretty good.

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:28 AM »
Yeah it's a good looking truck I wish i could find a build up on it. 

Anyways I got the bed mounted down for good. Hopefully it all lines up. I measured everything 5 times so hopefully it does.

Front bed mount had to be shortened and turned back a little to line up with the bed support

Also had to trim out the bed support to clear the top of the gas tank

Filler neck hooked up and canister vent valve bolted up out of the way

Now I'm workin on gettin the cab lined up and mounts made so I can get the frame cut

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
Frame and body mounts are all done.  Started under the hood mounting everything up.

Offline bigdaddyjimbo

• New Users
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
Awesome! very nice work.

Offline Calebmcclellan

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:52 AM »
Thanks man it's coming together pretty easy so far. Hopefully it will be up and running in a few weeks