Author Topic: glove box lock  (Read 2473 times)

Offline J G Davis

glove box lock
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
Does anyone know what the trick is in removing a glovebox door lock. The lock assy on my 84 is loose in the door and rotates. Makes a very annoying rattle. I figure you must release it with an  awl or something thru one of those holes on the back. I just don't wish to break it, only want to tighten it up. Thanks
                               John

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: glove box lock
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »
Don't pop off the chrome knob you'll break it! With the door open, push the small latch fork up to simulate a "closed" position. Turn the key counter clockwise to the "locked" position. Look down between the door and the latch and you will see a flat tumbler about 3/16" wide. and 1/16" thick. Depress the tumbler "in" to release the lock cylinder while pulling out on the key/cylinder.
Once you get the cylinder out there is a thimble that holds the lock to the door which screws out from the front with a BIG allen wrench.or whatever fits in the hole because it's usually not tight.

On non locking types there is a hole to insert a paper clip into, which allows you to rotate the knob backwards to gain access to the release tumbler.  If you can't get it out, a local lock smith will probably remove it for you for a few bucks.

You don't need a key to take the lock apart. Open the door and pull the latch up into the closed position and then pull it even farther ( as far as it will go and then hold it in this position). Take a small nail or paper clip and insert it in the small slot ( located at about the 3 O' Clock Position ) in the back of the cylinder casing. There will be 3 or 4 spring loaded small metal keys (don't know the correct name for them) that you will need to depress one at a time while pulling on the outer chrome bezel. As you get by one another will catch and you will need to depress it to get by it. Remember, while doing this you must be holding (or wire it) the latching arm all the way up as far as it goes. As you get by the last key? the cylinder will pull all the way out. Then you can unscrew the threaded part that holds the casing to the door.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline J G Davis

gliove box lock
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
Thank you Chris, that sounds like the info I needed. I'll jive that a try.

John