Author Topic: Pepboys rant  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Pepboys rant
« on: December 05, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
i think Pepboys is turning into a 3rd rate ghetto outfit:

i went to get some tires----which they advertised on their website as in stock.  Of course, when i get there, it's "we don't have them i don't know why no one updated the system....."    >:(

Also notice that most, if not all, pepboys are located in poor neighborhoods.

It wasn't just this one experience;  i've noticed a gradual decline say within the past 5 years or so.

i used to love going to Pepboys because they had the best selection.  But now, they've diminished not only in selection, but customer (non) service..... >:(

How sad.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Pepboys rant
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Are you surprised?  This is what happens when a society disassociates and individuates.  Pretty much all of the chains are in that same boat, trying to paddle with the wrong end of the oar.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
Most of them are the same. No one can seem to get it right and I'm not sure why the parts guy/girl is also the cashier. Thankfully I have commercial accounts and rarely have to go in but when i do I usually dread it. Pep boys i try to avoid altogether
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
They keep using cheaper parts and warranty them. I want to buy a part that doesn't need a warranty. I don't have time to fix it 3 times or pay to have it fixed 3 times. I've been buying from Rock auto for 3 years now and haven't returned anything yet. I have had a few items I felt should have lasted longer but have overall been really happy. Our local Carquest used to have good parts, but were bought by Advanced a few years ago. It really sucks, I like the people but the parts are junk. I cringe when I need something right away and can't order the brands I like.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
I stopped going to pep boyz when they combined the parts counter cashier with the tire and repair shop

Now I got to wait half an hour in line behind some grandma trying to decide what tires she wants on her Buick to pay for my water pump

All the parts stores near me except Napa are staffed with the same quality people that work at McDonald's
They know zero about cars or parts
All they know is what their computer says

And all the parts are poor quality crap made in China

I've started buying parts for my later model  vehicles at the dealer , that's the only place you can get a brake rotor or wheel bearing or starter or alternator that's not made in China

But I too have started using rock auto and other internet stores like summit
Cheaper and only a day or two for the parts to arrive

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »
x3 on Rock Auto. I stick with the OE parts makers on Rock Auto, avoid reman stuff and I'm having pretty good luck so far. O'Reilly is pretty decent too.

But yeah, retail stores are all falling apart. I can't tell you all the stores I've stopped shopping at because they stopped carrying what I buy, sizes that fit, stuff that isn't Chinese slave goods. When I ask for the good stuff, they tell me they stopped carrying it because no one wants it. Yet there I am asking for it! Now they're all going out of business and can't figure out why. Good riddance. Let me know when the scoundrels have moved on to some new con so we can go back to work and rebuild this country.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
In the end it's all about money. Why pay a knowledgeable person with experience decent money when you can pay a dumbass pennies to get it right 40% of the time? Also, I used to work for CSK back before they they were oreily's so I know know what it was and where it went. Back when they had cashiers and parts counter people, they invested in their employees. You could start as a cashier and work your way up to parts counter to manager. The parts are chosen for mark up perposes only not durability or reliability. You guys are right. It all went to heck. The good ol boys at Napa are awesome but you will pay for it just like most of their parts. As far as the dealer goes, it has Been hit or miss. Pep boys did the same thing to me on tires. Now I just buy them online and have them delivered. The counter people now are a waste of time and management hardly cares. My 2 cents anyways

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:48 PM »
I have good results with Standard Motor Products, Wagner brakes, NGK, Autolite, Mopar, Ford, AC Delco,Spicer,Remy, XRF, Gates, Fel-pro, and a few others I'm forgetting. BWD and Cardone suck.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
PT.2

Done with Pepboys.   This is the 2nd time that they've advertised tires on their website being in stock at a certain store, but they weren't in stock.  And this was at a totally different store in another state.

If they can't even get something simple like this down, then they are beyond hope.

This is not the same store that the founders started and it's just sad.

Offline winky

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
yeah most parts stores suck.. when i put my one tons in my truck i told the guy i needed a 1310-1410 $#*() u joint, even gave him part numbers he went into how i would have to cut my drive shaft and get a new yoke etc... we argued for about 30 minutes all i wanted was my dang part lol asked what year my truck was so i asked which part :D and told him his computer wouldn't pull up my truck. then he pulled the im "ase certified" line on me. at the time i held 3 ase certs so i lost it... i told him no im ase certified you just have a patch that says you know what a starter and windshield wiper is and you better be glad they didn't ask you about u joints or you wouldn't even have a patch :D:D:D

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 07:12:12 AM »
It's kinda like a bone doctor who only knows what a skull and a rib is. The struggle is real

Now from a business perspective, try thriving in today's market where every customer wants you to put their cheap parts in their car but when they fail they want you to do it again for free or if you refuse they run onto to google and Facebook to start bashing your business. I put a policy in place years ago after a guy bought a bunch of parts for his audi online from some company I never heard of. I warned him ahead of time but he insisted he's used them and never had an issue... yeah never again. My policy is simple, I will not use value line or counterfeit parts, I supply the part and charge my price but will back the manufacturer's warranty. I make a small margin on parts as well so basically I use quality parts, cherry pick my clients and enjoy less headaches. Let the YouTube mechanics play with inferior parts. I digress... off to find Easter Eggs
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
i just got tires from pepboys off ebay put them on myself and then took it across the street to a tire shop who balanced and put new valve stems in for $40.

had a run in with pepboys a few years ago with tires for my imp, i had to take it back 3 times before i said screw it and took it to a local tire shop. first time was due to weights falling off before i even got home second and third time were due to poor seal between the rim and tire.

also stew if they advertise a tire at "X" price they HAVE to offer you a the same quality of tire or better for the same or lower price or its false advertisement.

the only store i go into is napa and they know me by first name and i know all their employees by first name also. they know my kids and its really fun and i get a discount so thats even funner
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »
I used to buy tires from a locally owned store until they unloaded a set of junky Pirellis on me. I've bought my tires from America's Tire since. They have the best prices and the guys are always real nice. I worry for them breathing all those tire fumes all day though.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60