Author Topic: Transmission Noise  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
Transmission Noise
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
Last summer I put a used transmission I bought off of Craigslist in my '87 Chevy Suburban V20. Right away, I noticed the parking pawl must have been damaged as it did not hold the truck in Park. Also, it started making a whining noise for about 15 to 30 seconds after starting when it was dead cold and then go away. It would start whining again however as soon as it was shifted in to reverse or drive and continue to whine until warming up a bit. It always shifted and drove fine despite the noise.

I verified there was enough fluid, and tried changing the filter again with no change.

I recently took it in to a local transmission shop. They told me there was a bunch of garbage in the pan and they thought the filter was getting plugged up because something was failing and it was starting the pump for fluid. They did a rebuild on it (see attached invoice). Unfortunately, when I got the truck back, the next morning when I started it to go to work, it was still making the exact same noise...

I took it back to them on Friday and won't hear back about it until tomorrow. I'm just curious if any of you guys have any thoughts or ideas on what could be making this sound? Could the flexplate cause this noise if it was damaged somehow? I thought maybe the starter could be staying engaged after startup, but that doesn't really make sense if after the noise stops, it will start making noise again as soon as it's put in gear, correct?

Here's what the noise sounds like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hin39eqznkv08mv/Transmission

Thanks.
1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
Re: Transmission Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
Update: I got the truck back from the shop and they said what was happening was the fluid was draining back in to the pan from the toque converter so essentially it was starting up dry and making the noise, then pumping up the fluid and the noise would stop. They were able to resolve it by installing basically a check-valve of sorts on one of the transmission cooler lines to keep the fluid from draining back in to the pan. So far, so good.
1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208