Author Topic: Why are vans so much cheaper than trucks/suvs?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Why are vans so much cheaper than trucks/suvs?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
As you may know, i'm looking for a newer gm truck at least 3/4 ton.   i need to do frequent and continual towing/hauling, not just every now and then, and my 1/2 truck just can't do it.

Yes, i will eventually get a square 3/4,1 ton suburban or crewcab and custom build it to my specifications, but right now i don't have the time, tools, or expertise.  Even if i COULD find one that is in very good condition i would still want to go completely through it and make it as reliable as possible.   i need a running truck, ready to go asap, so i think going with a newer truck is the best way (although not the cheapest).   It's a time thing----remember it took MONTHS to install the 4.3 v-6 in my truck?

Gm stopped offering a 3/4 ton suburban/yukon/tahoe etc. in '13 i believe?   That's still new enough for me, but there's another reason i recently discovered that is turning me off to suburbans:

i've probably answered my own question, but why do you think vans are so much cheaper than trucks/suv's?                

a few examples:
example

2017, 6.0 v-8, 1-ton, low miles----so there's still a 3yr warranty left for 24K.  What gives?              You can't find a 2017 1 ton truck or even 3/4 truck or even a 1/2 ton suburban/tahoe with that low of mileage for under 38-40K.

Many more examples,  although mileage a little high for a 2017:
example2                           
example3                     

i have a hunch that the frame is if not identical, then equivalent to a truck.  The drivetrain and suspension components are identical.

i think it's because vans are not considered as "cool" or stylish as a suburban?   i originally gravitated towards the suburban/tahoe myself.

Offline Kren420

• 1986 C10 Silverado
Re: Why are vans so much cheaper than trucks/suvs?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
I drive a 2013 Chevy Express 2500 with a 6.0L everyday for work and I love it.  Holds all my tools, glue, ladders, garbage cans, saws whatever you can think.  Then we, like most glass companies, put a side rack on the van for hauling all our glass.  A lot nicer than having to drive a truck and trailer everywhere.  Visibility is absolutely horrible though and I imagine the main reason vans are not loved.  Ours is even worse because we have no glass on the side or back cargo doors.  No back up camera either.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
supply and demand. the vans are good for hauling junk (tools and stuff and a couple people or a lot of people where the bells and whistles arnt a big demand, the burb on the other hand is more for family oriented and has the bells and whistles most trucks also are for the family and have the bells and whistles.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »
I cant say enough about how handy it is to have a van.  I have a 1989 G20 that I have been driving around since 1991.  Added 1 ton springs, 3.73 gears, lock-rite, and a brake controller many years back.  It tows great and fits all my stuff.  That all being said, it probably not worth much more than $1500 if I tried to sell it.  There were millions of cargo vans made over the years and there is no market for older ones, just like school buses.
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »
unless someone is giving away free candy
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
A bit off topic, but - the 89 van I have and the 89 K5 that I am parting out were actually born at the same time in Flint and I have had them both for a long time.  There doesn't appear to be much that will interchange with the two, but the windshield looks the same.  Just out of curiosity.. I was wondering if anyone has put a van windshield into a truck?
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)