Author Topic: just a little heads up about google chrome  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
just a little heads up about google chrome
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I run google chrome for my internet experience and I save some passwords with it. A few weeks ago I installed a new extension to block youtube ads and it worked flawlessly. About a week after installing it while I was at work I get an email from amazon saying “$100.00 Reload amount ordered “, “$50.00 Reload amount ordered”, “$50.00 Reload amount ordered“, “$50.00 Reload amount ordered” then a “We're sorry to let you know that your reload order was canceled because we were unable to process your payment.”. I’m sitting there watching these emails pop up in confusion and about the time it hits me I should contact amazon I get “$50 PlayStation Store Gift Card” email. I’m contacting amazon at this time to tell them I didn’t do any of this and they lock my account, I check my orders and all this stuff is showing up but it’s not effecting my bank card which amazon has on file. So I’m not too upset but I also notice there are two new credit cards on my account that someone used. Amazon froze my account for 5 hours and once it was unfrozen I changed my password and thought it was all ok. As I figured someone just happened to hack my amazon account.

A week later I miss the emails and amazon locks my account again for the same stuff, this time they’re requiring me to contact them. I put it off because I had no plans to use amazon anytime soon, but I also have prime video/music and Alexa. So it took me a week but I got back with amazon and they unfroze my account after asking me 20 different questions and 20 minutes later. Then Sunday I was watching a youtube video on full screen and went to close it using “esc”. The video closed but I noticed my mouse jump a few inches. I’m on my laptop with no corded mouse and only the touchpad, then all heck breaks loose I now watch my mouse open an amazon page, go to the reloads and order $50 worth of reloads. I tried to move my mouse but someone has remote access and I can’t do anything but my laptop is a touch screen so I hit the “X” button and it closes the window and the mouse moves a few more times and stops moving. I immediately hit airplane mode and run a virus scan and nothing comes up so I wipe my pc and remove the new extension as I’m hoping that’s what gave the person the remote access. im guessing one of the kids was on my pc the first time it happened and had no idea what was going on or was watching a video 

The reason I’m posting this is to warn you all about how some extensions on amazon can contain backdoors and also don’t save your passwords on chrome.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline silviefox

• A Fox in Human Clothing
Re: just a little heads up about google chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »
thats what happens when you put on things like ad blockers and stuff like that, people hide remote access stuff in them then can use your computer from anywhere, it will not show up in a virus scan because it isnt a virus its just a program. maybe having a ad here and there isnt so bad after all is it?
glad you didnt caught it before there took all your money
not the best but far from the rest

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
ive been running ad blocker for years now with no issue. im hoping it was all in the youtube ad blocker (YAB). im almost done with youtube due to all the ads anyway that and the kids like to watch it and its hard to monitor all they watch. so im probably going to block them (youtube) on my modem

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Limit any add ons you use unless you ultimately trust the source. Create a separate user login for other users and password protect your computer. PS Alexa is spying on you
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
PS Alexa is spying on you
no shes not i trust her with my life lol.

but honestly i "thought" if there was an extension from the chrome store that it would be safe.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »
Nothing is safe, especially Alexa..... I'm not paranoid but will not enable listening devices voluntarily. I respect my own privacy
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
i am the same way even to the point that me screen cam on my pc is taped off and the mic is disabled. i really hate the fact that my phone is tracked useless i turn it off then i cant even use gps or map.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
You're always being watched and listened to....
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/04/11/amazon-employees-are-listening-to-you-through-alexa-devices/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3RHDIvTv-LqJ8Ptgif2daP6Ii9MzpA-X-GjMOrS73g_hayjUzbaIWRRc4
they just confirmed they do listen and added
“helps us train our speech recognition and natural language understanding systems, so Alexa can better understand your requests, and ensure the service works well for everyone.”

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
It's not just listening, it's recording you. Everything. So is your phone unless you switch off the mic
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)