Author Topic: New guy and truck  (Read 15099 times)

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
Re: New guy and truck
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
Welcome

I agree with you, a manual is way more fun...until you are on 45 degree hill and some idiot pulls up right behind you and trys to see his reflection in your rear bumper!...lol

I agree. We have a '65 Mustang that's a manual and my dad won't let me drive it alone until I can take off without rolling back on this big hill by our house. I'd post pictures, but I might get flamed... :-[
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
700r4 with a Transgo shift kit
MSD ignition
Long tube headers w/ true duals
Upgraded sound system w/ subwoofer

Offline frogman68

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Welcome

I agree with you, a manual is way more fun...until you are on 45 degree hill and some idiot pulls up right behind you and trys to see his reflection in your rear bumper!...lol

I agree. We have a '65 Mustang that's a manual and my dad won't let me drive it alone until I can take off without rolling back on this big hill by our house. I'd post pictures, but I might get flamed... :-[

Just find the "sweet spot" for the clutch and you wont roll :)

Sweet spot = point were while releasing the clutch pedal brakes arent needed :)

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
^Yeah, I know what you're talking about, there's just so much pressure because it's actually a busy intersection, and like other people are saying, people will pull right up behind you. I'll get it someday.  ;D
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
MSD ignition

Offline scarynickname

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
I guess autos are ok for 4x4's, where you need some give in your drivetrain, but I like being in control of my slippage.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
I guess autos are ok for 4x4's, where you need some give in your drivetrain, but I like being in control of my slippage.

??? Why? is slippage a good thing now?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

??? Why? is slippage a good thing now?

THANK YOU - finally someone who agrees with me.  I was tought to NOT use the clutch to hold the vehicle in place - I was to use the hand brake.  Using the clutch = slippage.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
riding the clutch for any purpose will prematurely wear on the clutch... I wouldn't use the clutch hold the vehicle on a grade for any extended period of time.....
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline scarynickname

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
I don't agree with either one of you. If you use your clutch to hold you on a hill at a stop sign you're just going to burn up your clutch. Auto's are better for off road because they SLIP SO MUCH. It keeps you from snapping hard parts like u joints or driveshafts or an axle. Lots of bracket racers like to use automatics because they work the same every time, there isn't the variable of your hands and feet working to change the gears. I thrash my toys pretty hard, and I can't remember how many automatics I've destroyed, but I know how many manuals I've destroyed and that would be five. One in a 1992 Duster 3.0 with a homemade turbo setup with way too much boost. The other four were in a Neon. I've yet to break a Muncie.

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
  I
I don't agree with either one of you. If you use your clutch to hold you on a hill at a stop sign you're just going to burn up your clutch. Auto's are better for off road because they SLIP SO MUCH..........

That is exactly what I am talking about scary.  Why use your clutch to "hold your spot" and prematurely wear your clutch?  That = clutch slippage.

I also agree with you on the automatics and about automatics slipping.  I like a FIRM shift with automatics - the firmer the shift - less automatic slippage.  We are talking about two different slippages ;D
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
I have to say somthing...Iv been driving Stick my whole life..My pickup and my semi....And iv never replaced the clutch...Iv Replaced them cause iv pulled the engine...But they wear never burned up or Glass....And i always use my clutch to hold the trucks...Now i will tell u this..U will burn it up if u ride it...But just to let it hold u for 35secs...Wont do much...
1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 09:28:29 PM »
First of all.... if an Automatic is "slipping" you're in trouble.... So I don't get the "They slip so much" so you're better for offroad. If you're referring to the torque converter, then you are partially correct there.

I've replaced more clutch assemblies than I can count! I've rebuilt more automatics than I can remember.

Both have their pluses and minuses.

Automatics are faster, more convenient and can out perform on many levels. My preference.. each to his own
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
My 2 cents is autos are better in racing for their consistency. Plus the instant launch you can get with trans-brakes and all that. Stock applications though usually a stick is better because a stock auto is setup so lazy. Whenever I've owned a stick vehicle and I'm on a rather steep hill, I hold it with the e-brake. I start to let the clutch out and then release the brake and can pull away smoothly with no roll-back. Have to have a strong e-brake though. The one in my Magnum R/T will not hold it's 4400 lbs of bulk.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »
First of all.... if an Automatic is "slipping" you're in trouble.... So I don't get the "They slip so much" so you're better for offroad. If you're referring to the torque converter, then you are partially correct there.

See, that's what I thought. "slipping" an automatic would mean your transmision is almost dead right? I don't uderstand what other people are talking about then...?
1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
MSD ignition

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »
I prefer an automatic in the woods and for plowing. However I have not had an auto plow truck for the last 4, over the last 9 years. My Blazer /wheeling rig is auto. It is much easier to be able to finesse your way through something, or a tight spot. Just not as easy to do with a stick. The only thing I miss about a stick in the woods is the hold back ability on a steep grade.
That being said I have used the clutch on every stick I have ever driven since I was 12 to hold them on a hill. I don't ever remember burning one up from doing this. My 84 K10 plow truck got a new clutch right before I bought it, installed by me. My ex and I put 85,000 miles on that truck, and I used it for a back up plow truck for 5 years, and I used it for a primary plow truck for 2 years during that 85,000 miles. The clutch still works perfect.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:28:46 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
Nice truck...love those progressive wheels, too. Too bad they aren't in business anymore.
Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!