Author Topic: k10 5.3 swap questions  (Read 4324 times)

Offline billyt33

k10 5.3 swap questions
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
Just got my 5.3, 4l60e into my 1980 k10. For a transfer case I found a NP241c out of a 91 blazer that bolts right up to the 4l60e. 

My Questions:
-Is there any year front drive shaft that i might be able to make fit?  The original that came with the truck is too short.

-Any recommendations on a radiator?  I have the one out of the 03 silverado and the original out of the k10 but I would really like to get a new aluminum radiator with an electric fan but I don't want to break the bank.  Not sure if thats possible but thought I'd ask.

- What would be a good choice for headers?  what has worked for you guys?

-what should I do for the shift linkage.  I know a floor shift is relatively easy to hookup but since I have the shifter for the 4 wheel there too so I'm not sure the best route to go.  I've heard that there are shift kits or adaptors to make the column shift but I don't know the best solutions.  Also I have no idea on a good way to set up the 4 wheel shifter.  Its set up completely different from the hp205 that came with it.

Thanks I really appreciate any help you guys have

Offline Hillbillydrums

Re: k10 5.3 swap questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:26:52 AM »
Sweet build! Wish i could help ya. I'll be watching this, i'm looking to do the same for my 75 soon.
1972 C10 (Passed down since great granddad bought it new in '72)
1973 K5
1975 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: k10 5.3 swap questions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
What kind of trans did the truck have prior to the swap?
What kind of mounts are you using for the LS?  Did you have to move the trans crossmember back or?
Depending on the answers above you may need to have a new driveshaft built.  Did the rear fit?

Any parts store should be able to get you an aluminum radiator that fits, it just depends on your budget.

How are you going to run the exhaust?  3/4 length headers work on 4x4's...

As for the shifter, again what kind of trans was in it?