Author Topic: Dual alternator setup  (Read 3102 times)

Offline tscott77

Dual alternator setup
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Hey all! I am just wondering if anyone has ever done a dual alternator setup on their truck. I know that the military trucks sometimes come with that setup, but I have a 454, so I am wondering if anyone has ever seen, or done a dual alternator setup on a gas motor, and if they happen to know what it takes to make it work. Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Dual alternator setup
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:22:03 AM »
well to start with they do make our alt with the plug on the other side so thats not a big thing but why?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
Re: Dual alternator setup
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
I actually had a set of brackets fabbed up for my 83 c10 to add a second alt under the stock passenger side alt (where the AIR pump would be), but left them in a warehouse I shared workspace in and I think they went in the scrap pile, never to be seen again.  At a minimum, comfort with a GOOD welder and metal shaping skills are a requirement, and significant time to spend shimming and adjusting for belt angles. Wiring is relatively easy, especially if you use a 1 wire alt for your second alternator.

To answer Irish's question of why:
In my case, I intended to isolate a secondary electrical system to support a potentially LARGE surge load. Namely, cb/ham radio amplifiers I was really thinking about getting into, auxiliary lights, stereo amp, etc. A relatively small amp for CB or Ham radio use can EASILY exceed the charging capability of a 140 amp alt even when it is the only load, though that largely depends on how much you flap your jaws with the key down. During key down competitions, its not uncommon to see daily driven vehicles with a single stock alt for one electrical system, and 4 or more 300+ amp alts on another circuit. The reason being, many alts for these bands are rated at 12v, and 14.4v from an alternator(s) capable of keeping up with charging 10+ batteries provides a little extra kick.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”