Author Topic: Why doesn't GM sell a 3/4 suburban anymore?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Why doesn't GM sell a 3/4 suburban anymore?
« on: May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
This may tie in with Ford not selling cars anymore (if there's no demand, then why offer?), but why, in your opinion do you think Chevy doesn't sell a 3/4 suburban anymore?

They still offer a 1-ton suburban, but this is only sold to gov't agencies.

Not that i would be able to comfortably afford one----the 1/2 ton suburban is $50,000 base price.    But just curious about the 3/4 and 1 tons?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Why doesn't GM sell a 3/4 suburban anymore?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
ive always wanted a 3/4 ton burb with a diesel. but to tell you the truth i cant afford a truck that cost almost half as much as i paid for my house (well paying for). i think thats why i love these old truck is because you can do a lot to them but not really break the bank and you can buy them for the price of a payment on a newer truck or down payment
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
If the demand isn't there it makes sense to slow or stop production.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jason S

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
The 3500 Suburban is a bit pricey...

2018 Chevrolet Suburban HD

https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/suburban-hd-heavy-duty-suv.html

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
tax payers money can pay for that

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »
And the tow capacity is only 3000lbs..........?

i'm curious about the rules concerning a fleet purchase.  Is the fleet, or gov't agency allowed to re-sell the suburban to the general public?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
i don't think Ford Expedition has a 3/4 or 1 ton version either?   Then again, their website is so confusing it's hard to tell.

The Expedition is rated for 9,300 lbs. towing and the Suburban 8,300 lbs.   i am skeptical of 1/2 ton trucks towing that kind of weight.

Maybe they can do it?   i often see Toyota Tundras, 1500 silverados, ram 1500's etc. "kinda" towing a large trailer.  So, technically they are towing a large trailer.  But it doesn't look comfortable----the rear end is often sagging and usually the speeds aren't keeping up with traffic.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
last time i checked my ½ ton 4x4 ext cab is around 6300lbs gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating) so thats truck weight+people+gas+tools+tongue weight of the trailer= GVWR.  truck+trailer and their weight is a little different its "GCWR" (gross combination weight rating)

Offline fitz

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »
And the tow capacity is only 3000lbs..........?

i'm curious about the rules concerning a fleet purchase.  Is the fleet, or gov't agency allowed to re-sell the suburban to the general public?

Yes, the Government can sell vehicles to the Public
When they update the fleet.
3 good places to search:
GSA Auctions.com
Municibid.com
Ironplanet.com

My CUCV's were Military trucks that were auctioned off once the Military started to upgrade the fleet.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »
Well, apparently you CAN get a 1-ton suburban.  With duramax to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87YgYBSNIo&t=325s

Better sell the house though.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 06:38:02 AM »
Curious how the Duraburb company, in the above link, is allowed to sell these to the general public?

Anyone care to comment on this?

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:04 AM »
My Dad used to sell for a Ford dealer in the 60's and 70's.  In the "old days" Ford used to make truly special vehicles for police use, but that died when they had to get emissions certification for every engine/trans combination.  It was not worth it to certify a special police 351 or 429 if it could only be sold in small quantities.

It seems that current fleet sales rules are more of an economic/money choice for the manufacturer and local government than a plan to restrict sales because the vehicles are so special.  Its like saying - "you will get a discount if you buy a certain number of vehicles, but we will restrict the configurations and delivery locations."    Also, if someone makes a fleet sales purchase (e.g., a local power company, etc.), they can always add on a few vehicles and nobody will get excited if the sale is transferred to employees.  I have a friend who works fleet sales for a Toyota dealer, and he has mentioned having left-over stripped fleet vehicles that he can sell at a high discount if someone wants to buy in. 

I was waiting in the city permit/zoning office last month, and they had a Ford brochure for all the special vehicles the city could purchase.   There were several that were listed as Police interceptor vehicles (Explorer, etc.), and those had quite a bit of upgraded equipment for durability and extra power (special cooling, high amp alternators, pre-wiring for lights, etc.).  They also had a list of what they called support vehicles (or some equivalent term), which were just stripped down versions of other Ford vehicles.  IIRC, you could buy a special Ford Fusion that would be used for whatever purpose you wanted, but it would not have any special durability or performance features.  They also had Ford F150 4 door cab, Expeditions, and other support vehicles.

Bruce

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 09:56:55 PM »
Ford dealer here in Georgia got sued a few years ago because they would not sell a crown vic to a civilian

Plenty of nice used 3/4 burbs still around