Author Topic: 14 bolt 6 lug  (Read 10894 times)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
14 bolt 6 lug
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
Is a 14 bolt 6 lug rear end an upgrade I should look into to replace my broken 10 bolt?

This was offered to me for free but don't know anything about them. I know that I can make it go into the truck. What I don't know is if the width is the same? What about the pinion yolk as far as the universal joint? Can I hook up an emergency brake?

I do have the parts to fix my 10 bolt sitting on the bench just have not done it yet.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: 14 bolt 6 lug
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
14 bolt six lug is for 88 and newer trucks. Won't fit in 73 to 87 without cuting / welding etc. Pretty sure they are wider from backing plate to backing plate as well.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
What's wrong with your 10 bolt?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
My 10 bolt has broken spider gears and the cage is damaged where the center pin goes thru it.
I didn't used to show my old chevy any mercy. Too many brake stands with a 4 spd I guess.  ;D

At first I was going to put a locker in it for mud bogs but my build has taken a different direction and I don't see me bogging this truck any more. It has been apart for so long I just miss having my old chevy to drive. It won't be a pavement pounder only but it won't see any obnoxious abuse like it used to.

Here are my new used 10 bolt parts.

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline fitz

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
Thirsty, if you want to take a trip to mass I have a 10 bolt you can have. I pulled it from a runnig&driving truck years ago. Its just sitting here taking up storage space. 3.42 gears if I remember correctly. It's complete drum to drum. It's yours if you want it.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Generous of you Fitz! What part of Mass are you in N,W,E,S? I spent alot of time working in your state, mostly the Boston area but all parts.

Offline fitz

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
South shore. About half hour south of Boston. Its been sitting under the bench for about 5 years now. Next time you come to Boston feel free to stop by and grab it.

Offline DustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »
If you don't take the free 10-bolt, still consider the 6 lug 14 bolt even if you need to do some fab work.

As was said, these were widely used in '88 and newer trucks.  But I have seen them in the '73 - 87 trucks.  My neighbor had a '76 C-10 with one so I know they exist.  However, in my life I've only seen 2 or 3 vehicles with them and I'm 99% sure these were not swapped in during recent times.  Finding one of the vintage you need may not be so easy and may not be worth the time expended in searching.

My $ .02.

Rusty

Well, after thinking this over last night and finding some old notes, my neighbor apparently had the 8 lug 14 bolt in his rig and it was a semi-floater.  So, you can ignore my post.  Further, the post-87 6 lug 14 bolt rear may be too wide for your application.  But measure to be sure.

Rusty
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:11:18 PM by DustyRusty »
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
i got a 8 lug 14 bolt in my '91 4x4 2500 sub.  If you need measurements, let me know.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
I was going to do this same swap for my '74 1/2 ton 4x4 (i.e., 12 bolt to 14 bolt semi float 6 lug).  I measured the 14 bolt out and the biggest issue that I found would be moving spring perches.  At the time, I was in grad school and didn't have access to a welder.  So I rebuilt the 12 bolt. 

As best as I recall (it's been 8 years since researching), moving the spring perches was the biggest problem that I saw.  As for the total width, I seem to recall that it was negligible.  If you get the whole rear end, you'd have to verify the parking brake cable hook up and the connections to the hydraulic brake system. The remainder can be cut off and rewelded. As for the driveshaft, a combination U-Joint can be had.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:08 AM »
I've pretty much decided to keep the 10 bolt. I have had all the new brake parts for it since before I broke it. If I needed to buy all that stuff then I might spend the money on the 14 bolt instead. Making it fit the truck would be the easy part for me. I would rather work with steel than sheet metal.. ;D I need to focus on the body more than upgrade the rear end is the reality. I could always so something like that in the future.