Author Topic: WTK: How to remove doors without dropping threaded bolt plate chevy 1981 1987  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Bunkerbuilder

• OldManOfTheSea.
OK this old beast (1985 GMC crew cab duelly) is just about to have its cab removed as I think I have it sold but the last time I did this (removed the doors) I dropped the bolt plate as I call it down into an unretreable abyss.

I'm sure there is a way to do this without dropping the bolt plate (plate that bolts thread into) and or what years had these plates that fall down into never,neverland?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:02:11 AM by Bunkerbuilder »
2007 Chevrolet Silverado K3500
1984 M1028 496,NV4500,NP205.
1986 M1008 6.2L,THM400,NP205. < Was T boned totalled by ins co, parting out.
1986 M1031 MTY DRIVETRAIN

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
huh?  :o
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Just reach in there, and hold it with your hand.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Bunkerbuilder

• OldManOfTheSea.
The one I removed about 2 years ago was a m1031 cucv.

This one was a bit different as the m1031 was the upper hinge and this one where the bolt to plate inside was the lower so far on the 1985 GMC crew cab dualie truck.

I used a tool to hold the plate while taking the hinge off.

BTW on this truck there is no spot to reach a hand in to hold it without cutting in through the inside of the panel.

Here is the same height as the bottom hinge location, no where to put your hand in.

Round hole shown in pic below is at same height as oblong hole used to pass wires thru to door for electric door locks.

Cab area where hinge bolts to with bolt plate secured with 2 bolts.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:39:11 PM by Bunkerbuilder »
2007 Chevrolet Silverado K3500
1984 M1028 496,NV4500,NP205.
1986 M1008 6.2L,THM400,NP205. < Was T boned totalled by ins co, parting out.
1986 M1031 MTY DRIVETRAIN

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
I thought you were talking about the stricker bolt plate. I don't ever recall the hinge plate falling down though.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline carvin216

• New Users
There are two ways to go about this; first option is- pull the bolts out of the door, let the hinges go with the cab. Second option- If you really want to keep the hinges...find 2 longer bolts (per hinge) with the same thread and cut the heads off. Pull a bolt and swap with its headless counterpart, repeat. Two studs ensures the plate won't pivot. after door is removed, tie string between them (figure 8 style) for transport.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
There are two ways to go about this; first option is- pull the bolts out of the door, let the hinges go with the cab. Second option- If you really want to keep the hinges...find 2 longer bolts (per hinge) with the same thread and cut the heads off. Pull a bolt and swap with its headless counterpart, repeat. Two studs ensures the plate won't pivot. after door is removed, tie string between them (figure 8 style) for transport.

ifi had i had to do all this i would drill a hole in the sheet metal and spot weld the plate that way install should be much easier, unless the plate needs te be able to move for adjustment. not sure
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes