Author Topic: SM465 Leak Help  (Read 19199 times)

Offline tc197

SM465 Leak Help
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have a 1987 GMC V2500 with an SM465 4 speed (3 speed with granny) that is leaking and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I've never worked on a transmission before and this is my first standard truck. I've tackled a bunch of problems up to this point (water pump, power steering pump, vacuum leaks, brakes, rotors, front and rear springs, shocks, etc...)  through videos and this site but before I try this I wanted to get a few questions answered and look for some advice.

The leak is a slow drip where after a week I have a small puddle on the ground and I can't tell where it's coming from. I attached a few pictures below and one of my first questions is am I missing two bolts where this plate attached to the transmission?

Will I be dropping the transmission regardless to make any sort of repair?

Thanks for the help and let me know if there's any more information I can provide to clear anything up.

Tom

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: SM465 Leak Help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
Those missing bolts actually hold a brace to some engines.  My 85 V-8 doesn't have them my V-6 in my 86 did have them.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline tc197

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
Those missing bolts actually hold a brace to some engines.  My 85 V-8 doesn't have them my V-6 in my 86 did have them.

Ok good to know thanks!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »
If your just chasing a leak and not planning a new clutch as well, you may want to degrease it and see if the leak is coming from the side PTO cover plate.  It is much easier to fix if that is all it is
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »
Something else to look is the drain plug. Could it be loose or cross threaded?
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
Id clean it really really good
Then Clean it again  then I'd put some dye in it and use the ultra violet light to see where's it's actually leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tc197

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking it wouldnt be the PTO cover or drain plug because it seems to be dripping from a bunch of different places so I was thinking higher up. Does the PTO cover have a gasket inside that can be replaced?

For the dye and UV light, do you know if autozone or any of those places rent out the lights? Or does anyone have a suggested light to buy from amazon or something?

Thanks again for the help!

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking it wouldnt be the PTO cover or drain plug because it seems to be dripping from a bunch of different places so I was thinking higher up. Does the PTO cover have a gasket inside that can be replaced?

For the dye and UV light, do you know if autozone or any of those places rent out the lights? Or does anyone have a suggested light to buy from amazon or something?

Thanks again for the help!
The light is just a flashlight

I think I bought the dye and flashlight Ina kit at napa or somewhere

Obviously the light works better at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tc197

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 08:45:02 AM »
Ok cool Ill search around for the kit. Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »
keep in mind when you drive it around the wind will push the fluid all over, so clean her up and fill it and see if it starts to drip before driving. then if still no drips take it for a short hard drive as to no make much wind but hard enough to spin the fluid all over
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline tc197

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
keep in mind when you drive it around the wind will push the fluid all over, so clean her up and fill it and see if it starts to drip before driving. then if still no drips take it for a short hard drive as to no make much wind but hard enough to spin the fluid all over

Sounds like a plan. Im gonna find the kit today or tomorrow and hopefully I'll have some news this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »
Start with the transmission, but the engines rear main seal  could be leaking into the bell housing.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline tc197

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
Start with the transmission, but the engines rear main seal  could be leaking into the bell housing.

I had read about that possibility but I was thinking I'd have drips further forward on the bottom of the motor too. The only other way I've convinced myself it's the transmission is from removing the fill plug and not being able to put my finger in and feel any fluid. I ordered a UV flashlight and dye online so Ill start with that in the transmission and go from there. Thanks!

Offline tc197

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »
Dye and light came in but I didnt get a chance to play with them this weekend due to bad weather. Hopefully next weekend will be more promising

Offline tc197

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
Update:

I cleaned and degreased everything yesterday and added some new fluid and dye. Fired it up for 2 minutes and immediately saw where the leak was originating from. On the front of the trans where it meets up with the bell housing is where it was leaking, I believe that's the input shaft seal? I'll add a picture. It also started dripping a little later from the bottom of the bell housing but could that just be the same leak where part of it runs down the inside of the bell housing and part runs down the front of the trans?

Given where the leak is coming from it seems the next step is dropping the trans. My next two questions are:

1. What else should I do while the trans is out. (Ive had the truck for a few months so I dont know any history on when the clutch was done, flywheel, rear main, etc...)

2. Do I attempt this myself in my driveway or have a shop do it? Any thoughts on what it would cost me to take it to a shop?