Author Topic: wet sand acrylic enamel?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline IUFAN87

wet sand acrylic enamel?
« on: April 15, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
Well, I just screwed up my paint work real bad. I painted the middle section of the passenger door on my 85 Silverado. I inadvertantly mixed in too much reducer and got BAD runs. Would it be feasible to wet sand the runs out with say, a 400 grit after the pain cures and shoot back over it? Or, am I gonna have to take it all off and start over? Btw, I am using PPG Delstar acrylic enamel with hardener. Also, it is pretty orange peeled can it be wet sanded and buffed after it cures? thanks

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
wet sand acrylic enamel?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
It will not hurt your paint.  I would use regual sand paper....say 100 grit first.  Then wash it off.  Then apply wet sanding paper...to get rid of the lines.  If it gets down to bare metal, well, another coat of primer will be necessary.   then spray it.

SgtDel

Offline IUFAN87

Re: wet sand acrylic enamel?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that.

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Heres how i deal with runs.I paint military planes and we DA the runs out with 240 w/ a dinabrade palm sander,make sure you keep the DA flat and work the runs out.Dont tilt the DA or your gonna leave bad featheredge marks and they`ll show in the final finish if it isnt sanded properly.After you get the runs out take some 400 wet and sand out the 240 and if you have to spray a little sealer over the sanded area and repaint.

hope this helps..

thanks
pat

1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »
I shave my runs off as soon as the paint is dry but not cured. I use a razor blade or a paint nub file. Then wet sand with 400, as long as you don't break through you will not need to reprime it. I don't know what you are useing for primer but if it laquer based you DO NOT want to put it over fresh acrylic enamel. It will lift the paint, ( look like wrinlke paint ).

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs