Author Topic: keystone body panels  (Read 10488 times)

Offline usmcchevy

keystone body panels
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
does anybody have any experience with keystone body panels for the 73- 80 trucks. i can get front fenders and a core support. does this brand seem to line up pretty well.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: keystone body panels
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
I have used about every after market brand of panel out there including Keystone, They all need to be bent and twisted into place one way or another. I have even had to fanagle factory panels a bit before.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
Hey USMC
i may have a pass side 73-80 aftermarket fender if your interested.Currently its on the truck but will be comming off within a couple of weeks,i currently dont have a camera to show you but if n when i do and your still interested i`ll take some pics.I`ll take 40.00 + shipping.I do have a drivers side but its not worth it its rotted in the front and starting to in the back and it be better to find a cleaner 1..Reason im selling it cause i am putting a set of clean used GM fenders i got for it..If your interested PM me and let me know..

thanks
pat

1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Ziptar

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
Can I buy from Keystone if I don't have a business?? I just found out that they have a warehouse about six blocks from where I work.

I'd rather have OEM stuff but I am having a hard time coming up with Good used front end sheet metal.

1979 Silverado C10 w/ Olds 5.7 Diesel

85 C10 Custom Deluxe

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
Nothing you purchase will just bolt on and line up, even FACTORY GM pieces.  This is where bodymen make their money.  Making stuff line up and look right.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline usmcchevy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
i know nothing just bolts on. but im sure some are better than other in guage and fit. i can buy them from a local guy here and i was just wondering what kind of luck people had with them. otherwise id buy them from here

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
Tri-Pluss makes the best fit in the aftermarket.  Goodmark also has an improved fit on the 73-80's.  Both of which I sell.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
I apologize for how noob I sound in asking, but what is it that makes these replacement panels, even factory ones, not just simply bolt-on? I realize alignments have to be done but stuff like bolt holes dont' line up or what?

I would think (maybe naively) that a used factory fender would bolt on no problems, except for minor alignment.

I know my truck has all kinds of alignment issues on my front end sheet metal   lol   Oh well, hopefully I can figure it out myself.

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
All the holes on a fender for example are oversize to the bolt (speaking of the rear).  This allows up/down, front/back movement.  They also take shims behind them to space them out from the body.  

Some of the cheaper sheetmetal have the largest tolerances and when you pair that with other parts, the room for error gets larger.  I have seen bodymen bend the top portion of the 73-87 doors to get the fit tighter.  I have personally elongated holes at the rear to have the fenders fit properly, etc.

Does that help?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
It certainly does. Thank you.  All these little things I like to know before diving into realigning body panels. :)  

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 07:10:00 AM »
Chris, you been watchging me work? Yeah I have had to bend the top front of an aftermarket door in over an inch, & the back of the same door out over an inch. Have had to make the top back bolt hole in a fender a 1/4 inch longer, bolt the bottom back tight, and used a porta power to push the core suport away from the fire wall to get the door fender line right. Have had to completly move the hinges around on the cab to get doors to fit etc.

Edited by: Blazin at: 5/13/06 12:12 am
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
It sounds like I have been doesn't it.  I haven't done a door that way, but I did install a set on a truck and they didn't fit properly and the person that owned it said he didn't like the fit, and I told him we could bend it as I have seen it done, but he didn't want to.  The wierd part was the doors he replaced the new ones with only needed the bottoms fixed, so I kept them, since he though they were junk. :D  

This is the door and it fit perfect other than what you see on the inside front (it had a hole on the outside like all of them do at that area):

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 5/12/06 10:20 am

Offline Bandit 8

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
I have a question about door fit now that the subjaect came up.  I just replaced the cab supports on my 83 tk along with replacement planels here and there.  I took both doors off and replaced all weatherstripping.  When i put the doors back I lined up the hinges with original marks and now door close really hard. I know that the weatherstripping takes time to "settle in".  But the body line is straight but the top is out 1/2' maybe a little more.  Does this door neeed to be bent at the top and if I do will that make the door close easier?  Right now no air or water gets in.   Thanks for and answers in advance.                 Jim:)